      From: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com [textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of clearbrush [clearbrush@...]
      Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 11:20 PM
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: computer capable of identifying DSS copyists? was RE: [textualcriticism] Re: Manuscript Sinaiticus vs. Vaticanus

      Update :

      Especially for Dr. Finney.  Dear Tim, you may be aware of this; but in the event it comes as a pleasant surprise, I hope you take it and run with it. You are the best candidate I know. Blessings to you and yours, Geo.

      To the readers : these new computer developments do everything I have described and more.  Is this the future for Textual Criticism and Paleography ?
      I think so !

      Although the main emphasis at the present is on the Cairo Genizah project; interacting with Google and the various holders of mss - as I am writing - other areas more familiar to the list are being processed.

      Starting with the Bing search term : Tel Aviv University computer scientists Lior Wolf and Nachum Dershowitz

      I got ~ 500 hits !

      Some of the more interesting :

      http://digipal.eu/

      http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~wolf/papers/morphologicalanalysis.pdf

      http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/168368

      http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~wolf/

      http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~wolf/papers/genizah_cpdaii.pdf

      http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~nachumd/pub.html

      http://yussel.blogspot.com/

      Remember, this list is only a preliminary start; much, much more is out there.

      Yours,  George

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "clearbrush" wrote:

      > Well, it really is old news...
      >
      > I had originally included the information in a post that I had submitted
      > to Jonathan Borland's Tclist back in September 2009.
      >
      > "The Journal of Pattern Recognition, Volume 42, Issue 12, December
      > 2009, Pages 3348-3354;
      > has published an article by Itay Bar-Yosef, Alik Mokeichev, Klara Kedem,
      > Itshak Dinstein, Uri Ehrlich (due in Dec 09), entitled : " Adaptive
      > shape prior for recognition and variational segmentation of degraded
      > historical characters". This is software for ancient manuscripts
      > covering much of the Textual Criticism concerns.
      > It is supposed to identify, read, sort, search, reconstruct, etc., much
      > of the tasks now done only by humans.
      > The link for reading the abstract is : [now inoperable]
      >
      > It is now being used for ancient Hebrew manuscripts, but will be
      > modified in the near future for other ancient languages.
      > "Uri Ehrlich, an expert in ancient prayer texts who works with
      > Bar-Yosef's team of computer scientists, said that with the help of the
      > program, years of research could be done within a matter of minutes."
      > [end] "
      >
      > At the time, there was quite a bit of news coverage, but those Internet
      > links are also inoperable.
      >
      > I should have more buried somewhere on hard-drives.
      >
      > At the time, while trying to do more digging at the Israeli
      > institutional sites, they were still close with further information.
      >
      > Possibly, James Tabor may have additional specifics.
      >
      > Your welcome, George Eller.
      > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Goranson wrote:
      > >
      > > On May 31 George {clearbrush} wrote (in part):
      > > "In addition, there is a computer program developed at Ben-Gurion U.
      > in Israel that has the capability to identify with confidence individual
      > DSS copyists –[....]"
      > >
      > > Could you provide a reference for this claim?
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Stephen Goranson
      > > www.duke.edu/~goranson

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic