7908computer capable of identifying DSS copyists? was RE: [textualcriticism] Re: Manuscript Sinaiticus vs. Vaticanus

  • clearbrush
    Jun 1, 2013

      Well, it really is old news...

      I had originally included the information in a post that I had submitted to Jonathan Borland's Tclist back in September 2009.

      "The Journal of Pattern Recognition, Volume 42, Issue 12, December 2009, Pages 3348-3354;
      has published an article by Itay Bar-Yosef, Alik Mokeichev, Klara Kedem, Itshak Dinstein, Uri Ehrlich (due in Dec 09), entitled : " Adaptive shape prior for recognition and variational segmentation of degraded historical characters". This is software for ancient manuscripts covering much of the Textual Criticism concerns.
      It is supposed to identify, read, sort, search, reconstruct, etc., much of the tasks now done only by humans.
      The link for reading the abstract is : [now inoperable]

      It is now being used for ancient Hebrew manuscripts, but will be modified in the near future for other ancient languages.
      "Uri Ehrlich, an expert in ancient prayer texts who works with Bar-Yosef's team of computer scientists, said that with the help of the program, years of research could be done within a matter of minutes."  [end] "

      At the time, there was quite a bit of news coverage, but those Internet links are also inoperable.

      I should have more buried somewhere on hard-drives.

      At the time, while trying to do more digging at the Israeli institutional sites, they were still close with further information.

      Possibly, James Tabor may have additional specifics.

      Your welcome,  George Eller.

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Goranson wrote:
      > On May 31 George {clearbrush} wrote (in part):
      > "In addition, there is a computer program developed at Ben-Gurion U. in Israel that has the capability to identify with confidence individual DSS copyists –[....]"
      > Could you provide a reference for this claim?
      > Thanks
      > Stephen Goranson
      > www.duke.edu/~goranson
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic