7815An interesting liturgical corruption of John 11:26

  • Daniel Buck
    May 3, 2013
      I was going through the liturgy for the naval burial at sea ritual and found that John 11:26 is frequently quoted; not, however, in the words of any English version I'm familiar with, all of which read "shall never die" or words to that effect, followed by a full stop. This not being quite in keeping with the fact that the deceased is in fact quite visibly dead, various other ways have been found to end the passage. Recently, the going English version has been:

      "Everyone who has life and has committed himself to me in faith, shall not die forever."

      In a 1974 ceremony re-burying six Soviet submariners which has recently been declassified, the English reading was:

      "And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall have everlasting life."

      It will probably be a few more years before any of us are privy to the liturgy for Osama bin Laden's burial at sea, but I suspect this was one of the rare cases when no Scripture was used.