7766Re: Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia

  • bucksburg
    Apr 5, 2013
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Danger" <sigebryht@...> wrote:

      >> For an example in Greek, see the expression "PARANGELIA PARENGEILAMEN" IN Acts 5:28 - "We STRICTLY commanded." I suspect that the repetition of the same lexical root for emphasis here reflects Semitic usage. In other words, the author of Acts may be translating this expression directly from the Aramaic or Hebrew injunction issued by the Sanhedrin in this account.<<

      Actually, I prefer diplorhema, if I have to coin the word myself. An interesting case of Semetic diplorhema is in the account of the regicide of King Amaziah in 2 Chronicles 25:27.

      The Hebrew uses a diplorhema of QSR (conspire), and the LXX translates it with a Greek diplorhema, EPEQENTO AUTW EPIQESIN (in 2 Kings 14:19, SUNESTRAFHSAN EP AUTON SUSTREMMA).

      In a similar context, 2 Kings 21:23 has QSR without any diplorhema in Hebrew or Greek.