7663CSNTM and The "Translation" at the Codex Sinaiticus website email from Snapp

  • robertdmarcello
    Dec 28, 2012
      James,

      In like manner, it may be important to note that the link you mention at archive.org is actually to watermarked images taken from CSNTM's website without their permission. This also misleads site visitors since these images were not given permission to be published on a different website and are not credited. If you happen to know how they were posted or why the site incorrectly indicates that they are copyright free, it may be helpful to let CSNTM know.

      For everyone else and James, the facsimile is not legally allowed to be downloaded at archive.org, but it may be viewed anytime, along with many other manuscripts, at www.csntm.org/manuscript.

      Also, please be on the lookout. I am happy to report that CSNTM has new GA numbers for some previously discovered manuscripts:

      Tirana, ANA 76 (Kod. Br. 76) = 2912
      Tirana, ANA Fr. 12 (Kod. F. Br. 12) = 2913
      Cambridge, Christ College, Frg B = 2914
      Tirana, ANA Fr. 16 (Kod. Fr. Vs. 12) = lect 2454
      Tirana, ANA Fr. 2 ( Kod. F. Br. 2) = lect 2455
      Tirana, ANA Fr. 5 ( Kod. F. Br. 5) = lect 2456
      Athen, Benaki, Ms. TA 144 = lect 2457
      Athen, Benaki, Ms. TA 314 = lect 2458
      Athen, Benaki, Ms. TA 322 = lect 2459
      Iasi, (Iasi MS 7030) = lect 2460
      Tirana, ANA Fr. 7 (Kod. Fr. Vs. 7) = 2908
      Athen, Benaki, S.K. 5 is part of = lect 2141

      What is more, a host of new manuscript images will be added to www.csntm.org in the next few months!

      All the best,
      Rob Marcello

      Research Manager at CSNTM

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Vox Verax" <james.snapp@...> wrote:

      > This post is about a problematic feature at the Codex Sinaiticus website. But first, I should mention that Kirsopp Lake's 1911 photo-facsimile of the NT (plus Barnabas and Hermas) portion of Codex Sinaiticus is available for free download at Archive.org:
      > http://archive.org/details/GA_01 . This includes Lake's introduction.
      >
      > About two and a half years ago, I mentioned a problem at the Codex Sinaiticus website: what appears, to the casual visitor, to be an English translation of the contents of the manuscript's NT portion, is no such thing. Now here we are on the verge of 2013, and the pseudo-translation is still there.
      >
      > This can only mislead site-visitors. The site should contain, if not an accurate English translation of the contents of Codex Sinaiticus, a notification to its visitors that the "translation" is not an accurate rendering of the contents of the manuscript.
      >
      > "But this," you might be thinking, "is something for the British Library people to work out; it is not my problem." Suppose you noticed that in a crowd of tourists in London, there was a tour-guide who was constantly misdirecting the tourist by supplying them with street-maps that were inaccurate. You know the streets and subways of London perfectly well, so that doesn't hurt you. But should you therefore walk by silently? Would it not be better to point out to the tour-guide that his maps are inaccurate? And, if he continues to supply such maps to unsuspecting tourists, wouldn't a considerate person spare a few moments to tell the visitors that those maps are not trustworthy?
      >
      > Likewise, textual critics -- especially textual critics who blog -- who observe the situation regarding the Codex Sinaiticus website's pseudo-translation might want to notify the custodians of the Codex Sinaiticus website at the British Library, or at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, or whoever is responsible for the Codex Sinaiticus website, that the pseudo-translation should not be a permanent feature of the website, unless it is accompanied by a clear warning about its shortcomings.
      >
      > Yours in Christ,
      >
      > James Snapp, Jr.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic