7586Malachi 2: 15

  • Arie Dirkzwager
    Nov 5, 2012
      If we compare different translations of this text, we see that the Hebrew text of the first part of the verse is not clear. The MT has
      ולא־אחד עשה ושאר רוח לו ומה האחד מבקש זרע אלהים
      The LXX however has
      καὶ οὐκ ἄλλος ἐποίησεν, καὶ ὑπόλειμμα πνεύματος αὐτοῦ. καὶ εἴπατε Τί ἄλλο ἀλλ᾿ ἢ σπέρμα ζητεῖ ὁ θεός; καὶ φυλάξασθε ἐν τῷ πνεύματι ὑμῶν, καὶ γυναῖκα νεότητός σου μὴ ἐγκαταλίπῃς·
      For me the interesting point is ἄλλος. In Hebrew that would be אחר . In Hebrew, in both the 'normal' alphabet and the older one, there is not much difference between ד and ר . They can be easily confused.
      Starting from אחר I propose to read
      ולא־אחר עשהו אשר רוח לו ומה האחר מבקש זרע אלהים ונשמרתם ברוחכם ובאשת נעוריך אל-יבגד
      And He-who-is-not-the-other made him, who has spirit. And what is the other seeking?
      Gods children.
      So be careful in your spirit and don't be unfaithful to the wife of your youth.

      'The other' would be the devil. 'Seeking' would have a negative meaning.
      In my opinion the maqqef does not only indicate unity of tone, but therein also unity of meaning. Am I right?
      In my solution there exists also a clear correspondance between spirit in the first part of the verse and the same word in the second part.
      My only change is putting the ו after עשה and switching ש and א. Can we live with that?

      Arie

      Dr. A. Dirkzwager
      Hoeselt, Belgium
      www.dirkzwagerarie.be