7188Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Fasting in Acts 10:30 - P50

  • philip maertens
    May 6, 2012
      Dear David,

      At the moment I do not have the opportunity to pursue you inquiry further. But I just noticed that in Mc 9, 29 there exists also some variation in the manuscript tradition involving the couple praying / fasting. Interestingly, among the witnesses containing the reading “and fasting” – which BTW is not retained here by the NA27 – are A and C, who do not read the word in Acts 10, 30. In other words, it would be difficult, so it seems to me, to try to elaborate a theory for the alternations in Acts 10 without taking in account other variation units implying the same pair.

      As the case of A and C suggest, the presence or absence of the two words together could be linked maybe to the context: exorcism in the case of Marc 9; regular prayer (?) in the case of Acts 10. So maybe a good place to start would be a study on fasting and prayer in antiquity.

      Hope that these reflexions written on the run may be helpful. Otherwise, just delete the message J

      Greetings from the Algarve, Portugal

      On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM, wengurobo <wengurobo@...> wrote:

      I was perplexed by the lines in your chart  showing a correction in P50. At least to the casual reader it looks as though the original hand reads HMHNTKAIENNATHN and a later scribe corrected by inserting NHSTEUWN, perhaps in the margin or between the lines.

      On checking the Münster apparatus for Acts 10:30 I see that the correction is labelled not P50C but P50C*, indicating that the correction was made by the original hand. (However, on the page entitled P50: Acts 10:30-31 the impression is given that the T after HMHN is immediately followed by KAI, with a popup at the T that says "Alteration to the text of the first hand by later hand(s)".

      A clear enough image is available both in the editio princeps and in the Wikipedia article  (though wrongly labelled in the latter). Line 17 of the right hand column shows that after HMHN the scribe wrote a T but then superimposed a N and continued by writing NHSTEUWN.

      It's worth noting, then, that it is the original scribe of P50, an Egyptian papyrus dated 4th to 5th century, that includes NHSTEUWN, and that the presentation on the Münster site leaves room for improvement.

      Tony Pope

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, David Palmer <kanakawatut@...> wrote:
      > Can anyone demonstrate by sound TC theory how or whether "fasting" was excised from or added to Acts 10:30?
      > Here is a chart of the Acts 10:30 manuscripts.
      > David Robert Palmer
      > http://bibletranslation.ws/palmer-translation/

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic