      From: schmuel <schmuel@...>
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 2:31 AM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Hort's review of Burgon's Last 12 Verses

      Hi Folks,

      James
      Burgon's 1871 book received an almost immediate response from Hort, in the form of a review that appeared in the Nov. 15, 1871 issue of a journal called "The Academy."  The volume can be found at Google Books.  A review is not the same as a refutation -- and Hort made some claims in his review which themselves should be reviewed (because they are wrong!) -- but Hort outlined the shape of what a refutation would look li

      > rslocc
      > Thank you for that tid-bit I will look into that review a.s.a.p.

      Here is the review.

      The Academy and literature, Volume 2 (1871)
      Fenton Hort Review.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=w63lAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA518

      Generally, Hort tries to accuse Burgon of misleading the reader.
      And, ironically, Hort's big accusation is that John William Burgon does not work with Hortian:

              "hidden genealogies
      and circumstances of transmission "
           ! :)

      First on the Greek ECW

      Hort : "the one clear Greek ante-Nicene testimony (Mr. Burgon numbers six) is that of Irenaeus."

      Quite a difference in count, six to one.
      There may be more now, and it is true that many of the references are allusions.

      The one agreed is Ireaneus, extremely powerful, considering his writing predates the earliest manuscripts by almost two centuries.

      Irenaeus (wrote c. 180) - Against Heresies, Book III, 10:5-6,
      http://books.google.com/books?id=9HO5ICFl1vsC&pg=PT1372

      Also, towards the conclusion of his Gospel, Mark says:
      "So then, after the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God; "
      confirming what had been spoken by the prophet:
      "The Lord said to my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, until I make Thy foes Thy footstool."

      From Burgon, before the period of Eusebius and Nicea (which references are still before the earliest manuscripts).
      This may round out the six.

      Papias
      Justin Martyr
      Irenaeus
      Hippolytus
      Acts of Pilate
      Apostolic Constitutions

      Hort: "Tertullian and Cyprian never cite the section"

      This is misleading at best from Hort, since Burgon specifically points out that the Council of Carthage is written up by Cyprian.
      Granted, Burgon calls it both the seventh and eight Council :) .

      Last 12 Verses
      John William Burgon
      http://books.google.com/books?id=2gYQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA25

       V. At the Seventh Council of Carthage held under Cyprian, a.d. 256, (on the baptizing of Heretics,) Vincentius, Bishop of Thibari, (a place not far from Carthage,) in
      the presence of the eighty-seven assembled African bishops, quoted two of the verses under consideration
      m " In nomine meo manum imponite, daemonia expellite," (Cyprian Opp,p. 237 [Reliqq. Sacr. iii p. 124,] quoting S.Mark xvi. 17,18,)—"In nomine meo daemonia ejicient .... super egrotos manus imponent et bene habebunt."

      http://books.google.com/books?id=2gYQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA249 | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
      Messages in this topic (19)
      Recent Activity:
      MARKETPLACE