6671Re: Ambrose, Eusebius, and Mark 16:9-20

  • james_snapp_jr
    Oct 5, 2011
      Dear George,

      Yes, some in the 300's -- Hierocles, Marinus, Eusebius (using 16:9 spontaneously in "Ad Marinum," in addition to the part where he replies to the question about how to harmonize Mt. 28:1 and Mk. 16:9), the anonymous author of "Acts of Pilate," the unknown individual who made the Freer Logion, Wulfilas, Ambrose, Jerome (and whoever produced the old Greek MSS he used as the plumbline-text for the Vulgate Gospels), Ephrem Syrus, the author/compiler of "Apostolic Constitutions," Didymus (or an author of "De Trinitate" in his place and time), Epiphanius of Salamis, the composers of Old Latin chapter-summaries, Chromatius, the producers of Greek MSS known to Augustine, and whoever made the lection-system that Augustine used -- were using Mark 16:9-20. And very probably the copyists of B and Aleph were aware of the passage as well, considering B's special blank space and Aleph's replacement-pages' special rate of letters-per-column and special colophon-decoration (as I explain in the video-lecture "Mark 16:9-20 and the Abrupt Ending" at YouTube).

      I don't see how you can possibly say that such widespread external evidence, from the same century in which the earliest extant MS of Mark 16 was produced, "in no way indicates that it was originally a part of the gospel." What evidence do you use to ascertain the quality of the water from a fountain, if you believe that 15 samples of streams from that fountain "in no way indicate" what flowed from it?

      I will set aside your statement about "monomania." This is the second time you have insulted me, and I was hoping that perhaps someone else would comment that your tone is overly personal and unhelpful. (Just imagine the uproar if someone had told Daniel Wallace and William Warren that they need psychological help!) But since no one else has said so, consider it said. I thank you for keeping your psychology-advice to yourself in the future.

      In addition, Ambrose's "Commentary on Luke," and his use of "Ad Marinum," are subjects which merit additional investigation in their own right.