56Re: [textualcriticism] What's still out there from Qumran?

  • Stephen Goranson
    Jun 29, 2004
      Wieland,

      What popular book are you reading?

      Some Qumran scroll fragments are in private collections, for example, the M.
      Schoyen collection, kept in London and Oslo. Some of these items, including a
      date palm pen with ink that I have suggested be C14 tested, are said to be
      from Kando (including from Cave 11), but in this case after another owner. The
      pen is pictured online, google Schoyen collection; also pictured in the F.
      Mebarki and E. Puech Scroll book, and mentioned in the J.-B. Humbert and Jan
      Gunneweg ed., vol. 2 of Khirbet Qumran et Ain Feshkha, Etudes d'anthropologie,
      de physique et de chimie (2003). This volume also includes ostraca and much
      else of interest, even though parts of some chapters contradict parts of some
      other chapters. And it mentions....yet another Qumran inkwell.

      In the DJD series, if I recall correctly (I'm away from my books), yet to
      appear (at least I haven't seen them) are the Samuel volume (Cross and Parry),
      maybe one on Isaiah, and the second Puech Cave 4 Aramaic volume, and perhaps
      count a mentioned reedition of Allegro's pesharim by Brooke and Bernstein.

      And various archaeological reports from various digs are yet to appear.

      best
      Stephen Goranson