5358St. Teilo's Gospels, also called the St. Chad's Gospels

  • james_snapp_jr
    Oct 31, 2009
      At Google Books you can find "The Celtic Gospels," written by Lemuel J. Hopkins-James in 1934. Hopkins-James provides a helpful survey of Old Latin witnesses, a review of the history of the intermingling of the Old Latin and Vulgate, and a transcription of the St. Teilo's Gospels, also known as the Book of Saint Chad or the St. Chad's Gospels.

      St. Teilo's Gospels contain an interesting text. Hopkins-James mentions a couple of very intriguing observations, as he begins chapter five:

      "In collating St. Matthew of Teilo=Chad with the Vulgate of Wordsworth and White I have noticed 1,920 variations from the text there set forth and have traced 734 or 38 percent of them to Old Latin MSS."

      "In St. Mark, Teilo=Chad varies from the Clementine Vulgate in 1,354 places, of which 578, or 42 percent of the variations, can be traced to Old Latin MSS."

      That's a lot.

      A couple of pages from the St. Teilo/Chad Gospels are presented by Hopkins-James in black and white plates, including a page containing the last part of Mark 16:20. But I think there is a way to view much more of this Latin manuscript. At the Lichfield Cathedral website, there is a Turning-the-Pages presentation of the St. Chad's Gospels. You need a high-speed connection and the Shockwave download to use it. I haven't seen it, but if it is operational, and if it is anything like the online Turning-the-Pages presentation of the Lindisfarne Gospels, it should be pretty impressive.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic