      From: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com [mailto:textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Eddie Mishoe
      Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:40 AM
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [textualcriticism] Pseudonymity or Pseudepigrapha

      Bart:

      What are the main indicators that the ones doing the corruptions are Christians? Are they Orthodox or non-Orthodox? Will you book read motives into the minds of these corruptors?

      Finally, if one corruptor changed  a single ms he got his hands on, say a letter to the Galatains. How does he find the other copies of Galations having been distributed to other largy church locations in other parts fo the empire? Of those he does find, he would to convince the holder of that ms to hand it over to this stranger, for enough time for his make is corrections.

      Eddie Mishoe
      Pastor

      From: Bart Ehrman <behrman@email. unc.edu>
      To: textualcriticism@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 7:13 AM

          No one made money in the Christian tradition that way.  The motive for financial gain worked in other contexts (mainly pagan), e.g. when founders of libraries (Pergamum, etc.) were willing to pay cash on the head for "original" works of Plato or Euripides, etc.

          Most NT scholars are woefully ignorant about literary forgery in antiquity.  The best (and only complete) study is Wolfgang Speyer, Die literarische Faelschung im heidnischen und christlichen Altertum (1971) -- a book very much worth reading.  For what it's worth, I'm working on a scholarly monograph now on the subject -- there is no complete study of early Christian pseudepigrapha in English (just a number of books dealing principally with issues related to the NT canon).