3563Synopsis Scripturae Sacrae

  • Michael Marlowe
    Mar 4, 2008
      Hello everyone.

      In preparing a translation of the canon list in the patristic work /Synopsis
      Scripturae Sacrae/ (formerly attributed to Athanasius but now said to be of
      the sixth century), I have noticed some interesting readings in the
      scripture quotations. For example, the Synopsis quotes 2 Pet 1:1 with "our
      Lord Jesus Christ" instead of "our God and Savior Jesus Christ." Because the
      author usually quotes exactly, I think these quotations may be of interest
      to textual critics, though of course they cannot have much weight in
      determining the original text. I am mainly interested in the possibility of
      using these readings as evidence for the work's provenance and date. Is
      anyone here aware of a recent article on this patristic work? Have its
      quotations ever been analyzed or employed by textual critics? I find no
      reference to its readings in Nestle-Aland, UBS, SQE, etc. The Greek text I
      am working with right now is from Migne's PG, vol. 28.

      Michael Marlowe
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic