2969Re: [textualcriticism] Re: New Ending to the Gospel of Mark?

  • sarban
    Feb 27, 2007
      From: yennifmit
      Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 2:45 PM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Re: New Ending to the Gospel of Mark?

      Years ago my New Testament lecturer, Dr Richard K. Moore, suggested
      that the reason for the abrupt ending of Mark is that all surviving
      copies stem from a codex which had lost its final leaf or leaves. (I
      don't know whether the idea originates with him.)

      I think that this is a plausible explanation but there is one
      weakness: the earliest codices are of single quire construction. That
      is, they were made by laying many papyrus sheets on top of each other
      then folding the lot in half (e.g. P46). So, if this is what happened
      to the ending, one would expect there to be a missing beginning as well.

      Tim Finney

      IMS it has been suggested that the abrupt commencement of Mark is a result of the original beginning having been lost as well as the original ending.

      I'm afraid I don't remember who made this suggestion.

      Andrew Criddle

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic