2965Re: New Ending to the Gospel of Mark?

    Feb 26 9:35 AM
      Tim Finney wrote:
      > Years ago my New Testament lecturer, Dr Richard K. Moore,
      suggested
      > that the reason for the abrupt ending of Mark is that all
      surviving
      > copies stem from a codex which had lost its final leaf or
      leaves. (I
      > don't know whether the idea originates with him.)
      >
      > I think that this is a plausible explanation but there is
      one
      > weakness: the earliest codices are of single quire
      construction. That
      > is, they were made by laying many papyrus sheets on top of
      each other
      > then folding the lot in half (e.g. P46). So, if this is
      what happened
      > to the ending, one would expect there to be a missing
      beginning as well.

      And exactly this has been suggested, too, already.
      Check the online commentary!

      . R. Way-Rider "The Lost Beginning of St. Mark's
      Gospel" in Studia Evangelica Vol. VII, Akademie Verlag,
      Berlin 1982, p. 553-6

      . N. Clayton Croy "Where the Gospel text begins: A
      non-theological interpretation of Mk 1:1." NovT 43 (2001)
      106-127

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de