2963Re: [textualcriticism] Re: New Ending to the Gospel of Mark?

  • Peter M. Head
    Feb 26, 2007
      At 14:45 26/02/2007, Tim wrote:
      >Years ago my New Testament lecturer, Dr Richard K. Moore, suggested
      >that the reason for the abrupt ending of Mark is that all surviving
      >copies stem from a codex which had lost its final leaf or leaves. (I
      >don't know whether the idea originates with him.)

      It doesn't originate with him, it has been suggested for quite a
      while (can't document the originator at the moment though).

      >I think that this is a plausible explanation but there is one
      >weakness: the earliest codices are of single quire construction. That
      >is, they were made by laying many papyrus sheets on top of each other
      >then folding the lot in half (e.g. P46). So, if this is what happened
      >to the ending, one would expect there to be a missing beginning as well.

      This is argued by Clayton Croy in The Mutilation of Mark's Gospel
      (2003): Mark lacks a beginning and an end due to damage to a single
      quire codex. Incidentally he could well document the originator of
      the above theory.

      Peter

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House