2959[textualcriticism] New Ending to the Gospel of Mark?

  • Mark Thunderson
    Feb 25, 2007
      The Involuted Argument...

      MT: "It is amazing just how many attempts have been
      > made to reach beyond Mark 16:8."

      BYU Student: "What more do you and your collegues hope
      to find?"

      [period of silence]

      BYU Faculty: "After considering the matter, we feel
      certain that we were simply misquoted."

      MT: "Those in the past who have written "an ENDING"
      > have done so
      > with little success."

      JS: *if* the Long Ending was written by someone trying
      > to write an ending
      > for the Gospel of Mark, then the author should have
      > focused on events
      > in Galilee, rather than the Jerusalem-centered
      > encounters in the Long
      > Ending.

      MT: "But who is worthy to write an end to Mark?"

      JS: I think such a question occurred to Mark's
      > survivors ... And they
      > decided that they were
      > not worthy.

      MT: "In order for the textual critic to perceive
      > this, he must first
      > understand what Mark is saying."

      JS: "No mystery there ... If they never told anyone,
      how did
      > Mark find out?"

      How did you find out?

      Mark Thunderson

      --- "James Snapp, Jr." <voxverax@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > women fled from the
      > tomb, afraid, and did not follow the angel's
      > directions. (Tangent:
      > at least not for a while; anyone hearing this part
      > of the story might
      > well wonder, "If they never told anyone, how did
      > Mark find out?" On
      > the other hand, the assumption that Mark knew what
      > happened would
      > not, in and of itself, mean that Peter and the
      > disciples ever knew
      > what happened. Only via knowledge of Mark's
      > association with Peter,
      > and via knowledge of post-resurrection events
      > involving Peter, would
      > a reader of Mark's account naturally assume that
      > Peter ever knew
      > about the empty tomb.)
      >
      > MT: "Those in the past who have written "an ENDING"
      > have done so
      > with little success."
      >
      > If you're referring to how the Long Ending was
      > received as an ending
      > to the Gospel of Mark, well, I would call the Long
      > Ending's
      > distribution in every branch of the
      > transmission-stream, and in
      > something like 99.88% of the Greek MSS something
      > other than "little
      > success." If you're referring to how well the Long
      > Ending concludes
      > the book, I'd say you're absolutely right, if your
      > premise is right:
      > *if* the Long Ending was written by someone trying
      > to write an ending
      > for the Gospel of Mark, then the author should have
      > focused on events
      > in Galilee, rather than the Jerusalem-centered
      > encounters in the Long
      > Ending.
      >
      > MT: "But who is worthy to write an end to Mark?"
      >
      > I think such a question occurred to Mark's
      > survivors, after Mark was
      > interrupted as he was writing 16:8. And they
      > decided that they were
      > not worthy. So instead of writing an ending, they
      > took a previously
      > existing composition that Mark had written -- a
      > short composition
      > about Jesus' post-resurrection appearances -- and
      > used that as the
      > ending of the book, before it was released for
      > church-use.
      >
      > Then at some later stage, either the attached ending
      > was lost from
      > the autograph, and after that, and copies began to
      > be made with the
      > Abrupt Ending -- or some copyist perceived that the
      > material after
      > 16:8 had existed in its own right as a separate
      > composition, and on
      > that basis he separated it from the rest of the text
      > -- and after
      > that, copies with the Abrupt Ending began to be
      > made. Then someone
      > with a copy with the Abrupt Ending wrote the Short
      > Ending.
      >
      > What piece of internal or external evidence is left

      Be a PS3 game guru.