1713Re: The Longer Ending of Mark

  • voxverax
    Mar 9 9:34 PM
      Lesa Bellevie,

      You asked, "Does this include MSS in languages other than Greek?"

      No; Kevin James was referring only to Greek manuscripts. The
      Sinaitic Syriac, and the Old Latin Codex Bobbiensis, and one Coptic
      MS are examples of versional (non-Greek) manuscripts which do not
      contain Mark 16:9-20. To this list, the earlier strata of Armenian
      manuscripts could also be added, as well as one or two Old Georgian
      manuscripts (which, it seems, were translated from Armenian, and
      since the Armenian manuscripts probably all descend from the Armenian
      translation made in about 411, it should be understood that some
      "boiling" must be done to accurately assess the significance of these
      witnesses).

      You asked, "I'd also like to express my curiosity about the long
      ending of Mark in relation to the Diatessaron. Is anyone here
      familiar with this?"

      Yes. Tatian uses the Long Ending extensively, not just 16:9. The
      Arabic Diatessaron (an English translation of which you can access
      online at CCEL) indicates the details of how he did so. The presence
      of a special variant in 16:11 in both a Western and an Eastern text
      that have long been identified as bearing marks of Diatessaronic
      influence favors the long-taken-for-granted view that Tatian
      incorporated the Long Ending into the Diatessaron.

      For details about this, see the pertinent data in the footnotes of my
      long essay "The Authenticity of Mark 16:9-20," which I will be glad
      to e-mail to you upon request. -- office@... .
      The essay is in the middle of being revised (as usual) but with a
      word-search you will easily be able to find therein the data about
      the Diatessaron.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Elwood, Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org