1699Re: The Longer Ending of Mark 16:9-20

  • john1524wagner
    Mar 6, 2006
      "As far as "tongues" not being mentioned elsewhere, this is quite
      true, but there is no reason that we have to restrict ourselves to
      only a Pauline scribe."

      But a Pauline scribe would have the most motivation to add the Pauline
      doctrine of 'tongues' to one of the gospels in order to alieve some
      of the 'disconnect' that exists between the books of Paul/Luke and
      the rest of the NT. As I have said, Paul and Luke and their
      exclusive doctrines are entirely ignored in all of the other books of
      the NT outside of the Paul/Luke collection. And Luke's name is never
      mentioned by anybody other than Paul, and Paul is only mentioned once
      in 2 Peter, a book that is widely considered to be pseudoanonymous.

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz@...>
      wrote:

      > On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 03:48:01AM -0000, john1524wagner wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > > I am new to this list.
      > > I just finished "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman and wish to
      further
      > > study "textual criticism" of the bible.
      > >
      > > Perhaps a good place to start a dialogue is by asking your
      opinion on
      > > the motivation of scribes to add the longer ending of Mark 16:9-
      20.

      > > It seems to me that a Pauline oriented scribe would have the most
      > > reason to add this insertion as a means of gaining some support
      from
      > > one of the gospels for the doctrine of 'speaking in tongues',
      since
      > > aside from the longer ending of Mark, the gospels are silent
      > > on 'tongues' imagery.
      >
      > It seems to me that you are going into too much depth here. The
      > simplest explanation is that someone felt that a Resurrection
      account
      > was necessary since it was obviously missing from their copy.
      >
      > As far as "tongues" not being mentioned elsewhere, this is quite
      > true, but there is no reason that we have to restrict ourselves to
      > only a Pauline scribe.
      >
      > Tony Z
      > --
      > Much of what are called "social problems" consists of the fact that
      > intellectuals have theories that do not fit the real world. From
      this
      > they conclude that it is the real world which is wrong and needs
      changing.
      > --Thomas Sowell

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic