      Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 9:48 PM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] The Longer Ending of Mark 16:9-20

      Hello,
      I am new to this list.
      I just finished "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman and wish to further
      study "textual criticism" of the bible.

      Perhaps a good place to start a dialogue is by asking your opinion on
      the motivation of scribes to add the longer ending of Mark 16:9-20.

      It seems to me that a Pauline oriented scribe would have the most
      reason to add this insertion as a means of gaining some support from
      one of the gospels for the doctrine of 'speaking in tongues', since
      aside from the longer ending of Mark, the gospels are silent
      on 'tongues' imagery.

      Curious for your thoughts.

      John

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic