1612Re: [textualcriticism] Revelation 1:5

  • Steve Puluka
    Feb 8, 2006
      David Bielby wrote:
      > I'm looking at Revelation 1:5 for my sermon this week. I'm wondering
      > where I can get more than what I see in Metzger's TC or the online
      > tools with respect to the 'Set free' vs 'bath' variation there.

      From:
      Ford, Josephine Massyngberde. Revelation, introduction, translation and
      commentary. Vol. 38 Anchor Bible Commentary, ed. William Foxwell
      Albright and David Noel Freedman. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1975.

      and freed us. The ancient manuscripts and versions are divided between
      "washed" and "freed"; P 046 82, 2059 al g vg TR; Rm read "washed."
      Modern scholars generally favor "freed" as the lectio difficilior, but
      some, e.g. Boismard, opt for "washed." The term "washed" would allude
      more directly to baptism or immersion, as distinct from plunein for
      washing closthes and nizein or niptein for washing the face: louein is
      employed for washing the whole body. In NT the noun loutron (Eph 5:26,
      Titus 3:5) is a baptismal term. This would be the only verse in our
      text where louein is used and also the clearest allusion to baptism.

      --
      Steve Puluka
      Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary