12Re: Mark 16:2 - anateilantos tou heliou

  • theologyshin
    Jul 15 1:16 PM
      Dear M. Basner,

      Thank you for your contribution!

      Your translation seems to be a very good conjecture,
      because the first day (Sunday) may have begun
      right after the sunset of the Sabbath,
      according to the Jewish calendar.
      Nevertheless,
      the text itself seems not support your brilliant conjecture,
      since the Greek word 'ana' means "upwards," "up" as in anabainw (go
      up).

      I cannot find the meaning "after" which you have suggested for 'ana.'
      Would you let me know where you have found the meaning "after"?

      Do you suppose that dunontos tou he:liou (cf. Lk 4:40) or something
      like it was the Greek (or Aramaic/Hebrew) original?

      H.W. Shin

      --- In textnt@y..., "proclaimingsmf" <talmidim@a...> wrote:
      > I found this following translation of a phrase found in Mark 16:2.
      > Can anyone comment on it as a possible interpretation of this text:
      >
      > "The Greek phrase anateilantos tou heliou all translators have
      > translated it as: "AT THE RISING OF THE SUN." The Greek word
      > anateilantos is the genitive singular masculine particle form of
      the
      > Greek word anatello. This word is a combination of the preposition
      > ana, which means after, and the ancient Greek root tello, and its
      > later form telos -- a derivative of the Hebrew word qtz, which
      means:
      > end, cutting off of a period of time. The period of time which is
      > coming to its END is shown in the last two Greek words of this
      > phrase, tou (the) heliou (sun). The phrase anateilantos tou heliou,
      > properly translated, says: "At (or, after) the setting (end) of the
      > sun."
      >
      > M. Basner
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic