Bird near Joe Pool Lake in Grand Prairie

  • gladragsnmore@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 5:18 PM
      We were camping over the weekend at Joe Pool Lake near Grand Prairie, and I saw a bird in the grass at the side of the road, and I wondered what kind it was. It was a fairly large bird and was very fat with long tail feathers stretching out behind it. It was tan or gray with black markings throughout. The strange thing was how round and large its body was. Not as big as a turkey or anything like that, but it was certainly the size of a quail (if not larger).

      Any ideas what this could have been? I've looked at bird pictures to try to identify it to no avail.

      Thanks!
    • Cindy Marabito
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 6:12 PM
        That's a good one..first, I'd contact the nearest wildlife refuge/org around Grand Prairie and ask. I would be very interested to know what kind of a bird that was...what if you have found a bird thought to be extinct...lo and behold! Also, I have a photograph of a bird my husband bought for my birthday a couple of years ago. I have no idea what kind of bird he is, either. Perhaps I'll post the photograph on our site and ask this group.

        Cindy
        On May 6, 2009, at 7:18 PM, gladragsnmore@... wrote:

        We were camping over the weekend at Joe Pool Lake near Grand Prairie, and I saw a bird in the grass at the side of the road, and I wondered what kind it was. It was a fairly large bird and was very fat with long tail feathers stretching out behind it. It was tan or gray with black markings throughout. The strange thing was how round and large its body was. Not as big as a turkey or anything like that, but it was certainly the size of a quail (if not larger).

        Any ideas what this could have been? I've looked at bird pictures to try to identify it to no avail.

        Thanks!

        Reunion Rescue and Animals First Rescue are
        non profit rescues dedicated to finding good
        permanent homes for animals in need. We host
        several rescue and transport groups. Please visit
        our website: