For your protection...

  • Cindy Marabito
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2009
      My good friend, Toby, sent me this information. I wanted to pass it
      along to you all as well.

      Cindy

      Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now
      using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to
      cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you
      visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated
      privacy statement at

      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will
      see a link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

      Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the
      left find a box entitled "Opt-Out."

      In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link
      that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then
      click the opt-out button on the next page.

      Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-
      out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means
      you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

      Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too,
      but I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed
      all users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years
      ago.

      Related article:

      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

      Please pass this information to all of your Yahoo groups...