Linda, the Ladder Backed Woodpecker...

  • Cindy Marabito
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4 7:47 AM
      I just added Linda, a Ladder Backed Woodpecker, to the Beauty in the
      Backyard photo album. She visited us yesterday. I had never seen a
      woodpecker in our yard before. Happy Labor day, birders! Cindy
    • m8d12
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4 9:04 AM
        --- In texasbird@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Marabito <doggirl1@...> wrote:

        > I just added Linda, a Ladder Backed Woodpecker, to the Beauty in
        the
        > Backyard photo album. She visited us yesterday. I had never seen a
        > woodpecker in our yard before. Happy Labor day, birders! Cindy

        Cindy...did you do anything special to coax her? I've been trying all
        spring & summer to get a woodpecker in my yard. She is a beauty.
        Yesterday morning I noticed a strange visitor at the feeder. I sprang
        to the window to take a peek and it was an Oriole. I ran to get the
        camera, but it was gone by the time I got back. I decided to put out
        some grape jelly, just in case it was still hanging around but no
        luck. It was a beauty...very bright orange with black markings. I
        don't know enough to tell what type of Oriole. I wish I hadn't missed
        that one. Happy Labor Day to all! Cindy...what are you and Rox using
        the pictures for?
      • Cindy Marabito
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4 9:30 AM
          The best pictures are those in our head. As I get older and miss more photos, I have come to really believe that saying. I heard a little tap tap tap yesterday and saw that woodpecker and ran, no tiptoed, for the camera. She was so busy about her business, she allowed me to take a couple of shots. I was so inspired, I put out some apple suet on one side of the tree and some woodpecker blend on the other side. We'll see if she comes back. You are lucky with that orrie. I don't believe I've ever seen one in the wild. I think we'll be seeing a lot during the fall migration. What do you mean about the photos? Cindy