alcohol anonymous tx atheist

  • gary_a_mcdonald
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
      I heard there is an atheist alcohol anonymours groups in Texas. I
      believe it is in the Dallas and Ft. Worth area. Have any of you heard
      of the groups or know how to find them. AA sites are no help.
    • token4trillian2
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
        Are you seeking a support group that doesn't push religion? I know of
        only one and you could only find it online--I think, unless you
        organize one in your area. I found this secular substitue on the Free
        Inquiry web site (or maybe in the periodical itself)--It is called, if
        I remember correctly, S.O.S.

        My dad is an alcoholic and I have needed the help of Al-ann. But when
        I went, many years ago, as a teen, there were prayer sessions to open
        the meetings, and hardly non-denominatioal, rather quite obviously
        Christian, to be more specific, of the southern Baptist variety.

        You have my sympathies, my outrage on your behalf, on mine, and on
        behalf of my dad (I learned he was an atheist only in my mid 30s).

        Regards and Good Luck,
        Cynthia

        --- In texasatheism@yahoogroups.com, "gary_a_mcdonald"
        <gary_a_mcdonald@...> wrote:

        > I heard there is an atheist alcohol anonymours groups in Texas. I
        > believe it is in the Dallas and Ft. Worth area. Have any of you heard
        > of the groups or know how to find them. AA sites are no help.

      • Gary A McDonald
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2006
          I found what I was looking for on an Atheist site.
          Thanks

          There are some in Weatherford which would be closer for me. I would find it fascinating how they could have an AA meeting and the 12 Steps without God. If you know anything about AA meetings, they close with the Lords pray or something like that. They ask me to 'take us out' and I said "who's your father". I don't know if they noticed I didn't say "who's our father".

          I am trying to put an ad in out local paper to see if I can get Atheists together. When I called the newspaper told her what was in the ad, there was silence and then she said she would have to get the person for my area to call me. He hasn't.

          I plan on having it run once in the religious section on Thursday. Then have it run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I figure if I run it in the religious section, there should be enough talk that the Atheists would hear about it.

          I have already had two letters to the editors printed in our local newspaper. In one, I called the christians ugly and the other I call christianity a gimmick. I have a few more ideas which I am going to pursue.

          I don't know, but I maybe having to much fun stirring up the righteous.