Does the ferromagnetic transformer show the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2004
      Bill Beauty has a page on the A vector field effect,
      which to me now has ceased to be something so exotic
      or misunderstandable. Basically the issue seems to be
      that a closed loop doesnt need to have a movement of
      field lines across its windings for it to contain
      induced voltage. The secondary closed loop containing
      magnetic flux changing in time can still have an
      induced voltage on it by the A field vector.

      Heres a reply on the subject to freenrg list.
      ". ." <sfj22_5@... > wrote: > This E-mail is
      especially regarding Bill Beaty's > "Right Angle
      Circuitry" >
      [<http://www.amasci.com/elect/mcoils.html>]
      I find some misconceptions at this site, namely

      FIG. 2 A toroidial inductor is interesting because the
      induced magnetic field remains hidden within the iron
      core. If the coil was wrapped around the entire core
      rather than in one spot as shown, then the magnetic
      field would exist only within the iron core. In both
      cases the magnetic field will exist entirely inside
      the core. It is only when the amp-turns of the
      windings exceed the transformer ratings, ie
      saturation, that the magnetic field lines will start
      to emmerge in space outside the core. This in turn
      will cause the core to act with less impedance, hence
      a non linear rise of input amperage vs voltage input
      will occur after a certain voltage level is attained.
      This can actually happen after a certain point of
      voltage input and cause a "runaway amperage " level to
      develope, and meltdown of insulation wires may occur.
      At full saturation the iron core is entirely
      ineffective to produce the impedance to the source,
      and the core acts as if it were replaced by air.
      Running a 120 volt rated Neon Sign Transformer at 140
      volts and beyond will start to cause these saturation
      effects, and you will quickly destroy the transformer
      insulation on the windings because of the excessive
      currrents that develope from saturation.

      FIG. 3 Even if the coil of wire does not touch the
      core, it still induces a strong magnetic field inside
      the core. The gap between the coil and the iron ring
      can be very large, yet this does not reduce the
      strength of the field within the core. The mmf on the
      core should be reduced by having a larger volume
      inside the exciting windings.

      I am not exactly sure about these definitions, but if
      the inside volume area of the exciting windings is
      doubled, I would venture to say that the mmf on the
      core is halved, and vice versa.

      FIG. 4 Although the magnetic field stays inside,
      something else does come out of the core. The changing
      field within the core produces a field of Vector
      Potential which surrounds the core. This field is
      commonly called the "A-field."

      Bearden often notes things about this Aharonov-Bohm
      effect which was noted in the late fifties. In 1959
      Aharonov and Bohm published a fundamental paper in
      Physical Review which pointed out the QM implications
      of potentials as the real entities, while force fields
      were the real effects. Soon after the publication of
      the Aharonov-Bohm effect. experiments showed that, if
      the magnetic field is trapped inside a long solenoid ,
      a phase shift still is induced in the two slit
      electron experiment, even though classically, no
      contact of the enclosed magnetic field and the moving
      electrons occurs. These are Beardens comments, which I
      dont quite exactly understand, which perhaps others
      can elaborate on. I do think I understand the premise
      in far simpler words. The A field is perpedicular to
      the B field. We have two laws to understand the same
      phenomenon. The first law is the more familiar one
      which states that when a magnetic field line crosses
      an orthogonal conductive wire by moving through space
      at right angles to that wire, such as occurs when we
      rotate a magnet pole at right angle to the wire, a
      voltage is induced in that wire that can cause
      electron movement in that wire as a consequence of the
      magnetic lines of force transversing the wire at right
      angles. The second interpretation to me merely
      restates the A-B effect WHERE NO MAGNETIC FIELD
      CROSSES THE WIRE. Here the induced voltage is
      dependent on the enclosed flux (density) change
      encompassed on the interior volume area of the loops
      containing that flux change. Hence for the
      ferromagnetic transformer, the induced voltages and
      currents on the secondary already show this AB
      principle, since the magnetic field lines are confined
      to the core, and do not intersect the secondary
      windings, but those windings do recieve emf acording
      to delta B/ cross sectional area.of flux change.(
      which gives the flux density) If we increase that
      cross sectional area, ie , increasing the distance of
      the transformer windings from the core, this of course
      also changes the flux density in the area enclosed by
      the loops, since the flux density itself is the amount
      of flux divided by the cross sectional area
      encompassed by the loops. Less flux density/cross
      sectional area of enclosed loops must then translate
      to a smaller induced emf. In summo something very
      exotic or mysterious is seemingly made that way by
      ASSUMING that the transformer example implies a wire
      crossing magnetic lines of force, which in actuality
      is only a convenient assumption that never actually
      occured. Sincerely HDN