Norris 4 coil air core field design.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1 12:09 PM
      Years ago, in the building of a copper magnetic motor,
      I noticed the following from scoping out the signal
      made by rotating a magnet in the vicinity of a high
      induction coil,(air core)

      1) When the magnet is rotated on the side of the coil,
      as per Newman design, this represents a sort of
      resonance. This is because the scoped induction signal
      is in phase with the greatest amount of flux change
      made by the magnet when it sweeps by the side of the
      coil.

      2) When the magnet is rotated in the polar area of the
      coil, that coil then responds as an inductive
      reactance would respond, in that there is a time lag
      between when the flux change across the coil occurs,
      and when it appears on the scoping. It "acts" like an
      inductive reactance because the signal occurs 90
      degrees out of phase with the voltage source, which in
      this case is the flux change brought about by the
      rotating magnet.

      3) These observations were somewhat difficult to
      ascertain with certainty, since they were only
      observed visually, as to when the peak of the AC cycle
      occured, vs the position of the magnet at that instant
      of time.

      4) The Polar design is the design made in technology
      because it has the stronger torque when run as a
      motor, not the scoped generator example being supplied
      here.

      5) The GREATEST mistake however is the assumption that
      the polar model in of itself delivers the greatest
      torque. When the polar model is combined with the side
      model using 4 coils, we find that the strongest period
      of torque has shifted from the polar area to the side
      area. However to achieve this developement, a very
      strange thing was noticed. we can wire up each set to
      produce a clockwise rotation when acting
      independently for each sets time to turn on by
      commutation. But when the sets are BOTH turned on, the
      vectors for each independent action DO NOT ADD, RATHER
      THEY ARE SUBTRACTED! As a result of this when the
      coils are wired polarity wise to what occurs by this
      common sense of how each set acts independently, we
      find that placing them in unison causes a "dead"
      magnetic spot to occur when the magnet sweeps the
      edges of the side coils. To cure this problem the side
      coils are then connected oppositely in polarity to how
      that set acts in isolation. When this is done, the
      side sweeping action of the magnet then becomes the
      strogest region of torque, stronger even then when the
      magnet responds to the polar portion of the coils
      during its rotation. This field coil arrangement is
      then reffered to as "magnetic compression", since all
      the polar and side coil endings in space are set to
      produce identical north and south poles in repulsion.
      Such a field coil arrangement when run as a scoped
      generator signal then produces something similar to a
      square wave, and not the usual sinusoidal.

      6) Since the technique of making the side/polar coils
      act in magnetic compression, has in of itself made the
      side coils act oppositely to what would occur in their
      actions when run in a solitary case, this in of itself
      makes for a unique observation, that a magnet can be
      rotated 360 degrees on an axle, without the necessary
      reversal of polarity of field coils that all DC motors
      employ by commutation. In place of this field
      reversal, it is accomplished by magnetic compression
      instead, by having the polar coils turn on for half of
      the rotation, and turn off during the second half of
      that rotation.

      7) A testing of this principle using huge air core
      coils produced a very weak rotation, due to the fact
      that since the coils were so large, the time lag of
      when the magnetic field occurs vs the voltage input
      timing meant that the rpm of the magnet itself and the
      necessary commutation of the polar coils interfered
      with each other. In other words the magnet had already
      rotated 90 degrees in its rotation before the polar
      field coils had accomplished their full magnetic
      compression, and had to be shut off again.

      8) Testing of the magnetic field compression priciple
      in miniature using neodymium magnets on a zinc axle
      showed that similar actions can be procurred in
      miniature. This should eliminate such said timing
      problems, because now the field coils have thousands
      of times less inductance, hence almost instantaneous
      magnetic field appearance in space. However once the
      magnet rotor achieves a certain rpm, these timing
      problems may once again become problematic.

      9) Since we have a set of polar coils that must turn
      on and off during 50% of the rotation to demonstrate
      the DC field coil principle, those coils could be
      arranged in commutation to act as generators instead
      of field coils in motor action during that portion of
      rotation. Additionally for this design, a eight coil
      arrangement driving two magnetic rotors would be
      preferable. The 4 coil turn on of one side delivers a
      much higher torque than the normal side coil action
      made by only turning on those 2 side coils. In this
      way a uniform torque during the majority of rotation
      should be achievable. What we have here then is a
      "hybrid" motor generator, in which during the 90%
      uncommutated portions of rotation, we have 6 coils
      turning the dual magnet rotors, and two coils acting
      in their generator portions of delivery.

      10) A mpeg of this field coil action, for the ordinary
      commutation in which the field coils DO reverse
      polarity, as the ordinary DC motor designs dictate was
      made from tapings of the copper magnetic motor some 10
      years ago. This takes about an hour to send over the
      internet. I can send this to interested parties. The
      tape shows about a 300 rpm of a 50 lb SrFe magnet
      rotor for about a 70 watt draw. This may not sound
      like free energy, but in fact the ordinary reactive
      primary draw of the transformer with no load on the
      secondary is also equivalant to the same 70 watts, if
      we ignore the phase angle considerations. In other
      words the power input does not "appear" to go up once
      we have attached the load to the secondary of the
      input transformer. Because of the fact of this unique
      air core field coil arrangement producing a square
      wave type signal when run backwards as a generator:
      this implies that the back emf from the magnet rotor
      once having reached its operational rpm is greater
      than designs where the back emf appears as the normal
      sinusoidal shape.

      11) In light of the fact that this experimentation
      took place over 10 years ago, I cannot guarantee the
      accuracy of all the statements brought forth here, but
      only recall the particulars brought forth from memory.
      An example of this is the above statement, where other
      considerations may apply, for example the fact that
      the transformer load on the secondary via a 1000 volt
      AC input saw a load of some 4000 ohms of 23 gauge
      wire, so the amperage rise during operation should
      exist, but was minimized by the special back emf
      brought on by the square wave signature. I am now
      slowly working to reproduce this same motor principle
      in miniature, using NIB magnetic rotors. A winding rig
      to make small 23 gauge field coils is being worked
      out, and once the motor is resurrected in miniature, I
      will be in a position to sell these small field coils
      for others to make and built this principle for
      themselves. In the meantime the only evidence I can
      offer is the superior torque that was attained in the
      making of the taping, showing the arrangement of these
      field coils. Recall that Newman himself used smaller
      gauges then 23 gauge in most of his models. Thus a 300
      rpm rotation of a 50 lb magnetic rotor using 4 coils
      of 23 gauge wire demonstrates the superior field
      design in this air core embodiment. If interest exists
      in the USA, I can make VHS tapings to send out via
      mail, but I must charge a small amount for the time to
      do this. These tapes would also contain other
      significant research in other categories, and would
      not just be about the copper magnetic motor. I would
      probably have to charge about 10 dollars for tapings.

      Sincerely Harvey D Norris