Re: high-frequency induction motors and generators?

  • harvich
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2002
      --- In teslafy@y..., "harmonseaver" <hseaver@c...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know of a source for these, preferably used or surplus?

      Fessenden worked with production of high frequency alternators, where
      apparently Alexanderson may have been the primary engineering
      influence in their production. An ordinary alternator has a field
      that moves in rotation by slip ring contacts, via DC delivery for a
      rotating field. The receiving coils, or stator winds are stable and
      mounted in the housing. In the high frequency alternator both
      windings are designed to rotate against the other. It is said that
      Fessenden once insisted in a wooden commutator, which caused
      Alexanderson to shake his head and mutter comments of derision.
      Nevertheless they built them.

      The high frequency motor is not known.
      HDN
    • harmonseaver
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2002
        --- In teslafy@y..., "harvich" <harvich@y...> wrote:
        > --- In teslafy@y..., "harmonseaver" <hseaver@c...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone know of a source for these, preferably used or surplus?
        >
        > Fessenden worked with production of high frequency alternators, where
        > apparently Alexanderson may have been the primary engineering
        > influence in their production. An ordinary alternator has a field
        > that moves in rotation by slip ring contacts, via DC delivery for a
        > rotating field. The receiving coils, or stator winds are stable and
        > mounted in the housing. In the high frequency alternator both
        > windings are designed to rotate against the other. It is said that
        > Fessenden once insisted in a wooden commutator, which caused
        > Alexanderson to shake his head and mutter comments of derision.
        > Nevertheless they built them.
        >
        > The high frequency motor is not known.
        > HDN

        It's not? Gee, the US military uses tons of them in aircraft and on
        ships. They're all 400hz, although I was wondering if there was any
        source for higher frequencys. And pretty much any induction generator
        will become a motor or visa versa.
      • David Thomson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2002
          I have lots of small 400hz motors in stock if you are interested. Nothing
          higher though.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
            How small is small? I'm really looking for something to do a hybrid
            vehicle with. Do you have a website?

            --- In teslafy@y..., "David Thomson" <dave@v...> wrote:
            > I have lots of small 400hz motors in stock if you are interested.
            Nothing
            > higher though.
            >
            > Dave

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • David Thomson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
              Small is as in aircraft servo motor. I have several web sites, but none of
              them have my surplus stock listed. Sorry I don't have anything big enough
              for your hybrid vehicle.

              Dave