high-frequency induction motors and generators?

  • harmonseaver
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2002
      Does anyone know of a source for these, preferably used or surplus?
    • harvich
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2002
        --- In teslafy@y..., "harmonseaver" <hseaver@c...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a source for these, preferably used or surplus?

        Fessenden worked with production of high frequency alternators, where
        apparently Alexanderson may have been the primary engineering
        influence in their production. An ordinary alternator has a field
        that moves in rotation by slip ring contacts, via DC delivery for a
        rotating field. The receiving coils, or stator winds are stable and
        mounted in the housing. In the high frequency alternator both
        windings are designed to rotate against the other. It is said that
        Fessenden once insisted in a wooden commutator, which caused
        Alexanderson to shake his head and mutter comments of derision.
        Nevertheless they built them.

        The high frequency motor is not known.
        HDN
      • harmonseaver
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2002
          --- In teslafy@y..., "harvich" <harvich@y...> wrote:
          > --- In teslafy@y..., "harmonseaver" <hseaver@c...> wrote:
          > > Does anyone know of a source for these, preferably used or surplus?
          >
          > Fessenden worked with production of high frequency alternators, where
          > apparently Alexanderson may have been the primary engineering
          > influence in their production. An ordinary alternator has a field
          > that moves in rotation by slip ring contacts, via DC delivery for a
          > rotating field. The receiving coils, or stator winds are stable and
          > mounted in the housing. In the high frequency alternator both
          > windings are designed to rotate against the other. It is said that
          > Fessenden once insisted in a wooden commutator, which caused
          > Alexanderson to shake his head and mutter comments of derision.
          > Nevertheless they built them.
          >
          > The high frequency motor is not known.
          > HDN

          It's not? Gee, the US military uses tons of them in aircraft and on
          ships. They're all 400hz, although I was wondering if there was any
          source for higher frequencys. And pretty much any induction generator
          will become a motor or visa versa.
        • David Thomson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2002
            I have lots of small 400hz motors in stock if you are interested. Nothing
            higher though.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
              How small is small? I'm really looking for something to do a hybrid
              vehicle with. Do you have a website?

              --- In teslafy@y..., "David Thomson" <dave@v...> wrote:
              > I have lots of small 400hz motors in stock if you are interested.
              Nothing
              > higher though.
              >
              > Dave

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • David Thomson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2002
                Small is as in aircraft servo motor. I have several web sites, but none of
                them have my surplus stock listed. Sorry I don't have anything big enough
                for your hybrid vehicle.

                Dave