Paul Nicholson on Scope Errors with Reverse RF Decay

  • harvey norris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2002
      Paul has given a good prognosis on how the scope might
      deliver faulty information on several jpegs involved
      with sensing fields over a plate used for polar
      capacity neon discharges. Here is the letter he sent
      and my thanks for his reply. HDN

      --- Paul <paul@...> wrote:
      > Harvey,
      >
      > Concerning

      > Those 'reverse time decays' look just like what you
      > get
      > when either the scope's retrace blanking is faulty,
      > or
      > you have the scope's brightness turned up way too
      > high.
      >
      > When the crt retraces the spot back to the left of
      > the tube
      > ready for the next trace, the scope should blank off
      > the
      > beam with a negative pulse on one of the crt grids.
      > This
      > is often seen to be faulty in old scopes, resulting
      > in
      > these 'backwards' traces. If the brightness is
      > turned up too
      > high, it can overide the blanking signal.
      >
      > There are very few things in nature that can
      > generate these
      > reverse exponentials. A pair of decaying black
      > holes in
      > mutual orbit comes to mind, but then you'd have a
      > rapidly
      > rising frequency to go with it!
      >
      > Hope that helps,
      > --
      > Paul Nicholson,
      > Manchester, UK.
      > --
      Thanx for this great feedback Paul: my knowledge of
      scopes is very limited and your explanation seems very
      apt. This particular scope (1740 A 100 mghz Hewlett
      Packard) was bought used on Ebay and I had also
      noticed what seemed to be right to left sweeps at the
      very lowest sweep rates, instead of the conventional
      left to right sweeps, at lowest sweep rates this sweep
      was alternating in its left to right/right to left
      direction. Additonally the reverse decays were made at
      the lowest voltage selections of sensitivity, and are
      not universal phenomenon that would be recorded on all
      sweep rates. At the lower sweep rates,(showing many
      cycles) the speed of that reverse decay signal as a
      left drift signal becomes very high, and actually a
      comparatively large time period occurs when everything
      is recorded normally, when all of a sudden that
      reverse decay appears rapidly moving through the
      screen from right to left. Changing the sweep rate for
      observing less cycles per screen view will lower that
      left drift rate so that finally it continually appears
      in every frame. This occurs with the scope set for an
      untriggered signal, but when the triggering is used is
      does appear as a stable appearance of that reverse
      decay so that by the time we are only looking at
      several cycles it will continually appear. In light of
      the fact that each sweep rate is giving different
      info, it is then easy to classify this as some sort of
      scope artifact, giving some kind of delusion to the
      poor soul,(me!) who might view that info as the
      literal actual happening.

      The one thing that did make me wonder however was the
      fact that this occurs on the voltage levels below that
      necessary to cause neon ionization. Once the neon
      fires the variac is turned down below that initial
      value needed to fire the neon, to a lower level
      slightly above the voltage before it will actually be
      so low that the neon discharge itself ceases. I
      thought perhaps this might have something to do with
      what people call the negative resistance
      characteristic of neon discharge, since that reverse
      decay only occurs at the prefiring level of voltage
      necessary for neon discharge. Also when the reverse
      decay at rapid left sweep occurs,( at low sweep rates)
      the frequency of the reverse decay also becomes
      lower.

      Once again, thanks for giving me a logical explanation
      for things that initially appear to be illogical. I
      perfectly agree with a sensible explanation, rather
      than to leap to illogical conclusions, and this surely
      does save one from being embarrased! Your help in
      matters such as this is greatly appreciated, as most
      folks simply make no comment at all, and then I am
      forced to believe my own conclusions.

      I have however compared EM emmited from firing neons
      with a conventional NST, where practiacally no signals
      whatsoever are recieved. In this particular case the
      neon is fired from the voltage rise made from a large
      induction coil in 60 hz resonance, so there does
      appear to be a difference in actions between a
      ferromagnetic source, and that of an air core
      resonance voltage source.

      Sincerely Harvey D Norris.

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com