Yahoo Q&A My Answer, and another Question

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
      It should be obvious that I qualify for a best answer here...
      What will an object weigh on the Moon's surface if it weighs 170 N on Earth's surface?
      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120214151338AAL3xme
      My Answer;
      It was Sir Isaac Newton who had first calculated the Earth-Moon neutral point using his theory of gravitation. That theory gave him an average Earth- Moon distance of 238,900 miles, and the neutral point thus occurred at ~ 23,900 miles from the moon(1). This of course gave the familiar figure that the Moon's gravitational attraction was about 1/6th that of Earth.
      But then came a 1969 edition of Time magazine, an interview with Werner Von Braun himself, and the beginning of a persisting mathematical mystery concerning the Earth-Moon dual planetary system. Time reported that "43,495 miles from the Moon lunar gravity exerted a force equal to the gravity of the Earth, then some 200,000 miles distant." If this neutral point figure is correct, then the Moon is much more massive than any standard view of celestial mechanics will allow. A mere two weeks after the Time magazine article, Werner Von Braun quite suddenly resigned all his NASA posts and took a position as Vice President for Fairchild Industries. At minimum it began a process of "arithmetical obfuscation", that can only be seen as deliberate, since to view what happened next as NOT being deliberate would be akin to charging NASA with gross mathematical incompetence. For example, in the 1981 edition of Baker's Space Technology, the Apollo 11 distance to the Moon is given as 253,475 miles. But in the book Apollo 11 Moon Landing gave the distance as just under 250,400 miles. Then in 1996 Baker's Spaceflight and Rocketry gave the neutral point as 38,925 miles from the Moon and 214,550 miles from the Earth, giving a total distance to the Moon of 253,475 miles. To confound matters even further, space experts at NASA or elsewhere do not state whether they are using surface to surface, or center to center measurements. Nor do they state whether they are using nautical miles or statute miles. Nor do they stick to any one system. In short, "the only consistency in the Earth- Moon measurement scenario is the inconsistency of the data emanating from official sources." Percy and Bennet's way out of this impasse is to posit that the 23,900 mile figure, the Newtonian figure. is correct, and that the figure revealed by Von Braun to Time magazine is the "experienced" neutral point. Talk about double talk! In summo with a neutral point 43,495 miles, the gravity of the Moon would be a whopping 60% that of Earth! So considering celestial mechanics here my answer would be .6*170N = 102 N
      Source(s):
      (1) Dark Moon , Mary Bennet and David S Percy, p. 392
      The SS Brotherhood of the Bell; Joseph P Farrell, p. 126,127

      My Question; (which may solve my dilema)
      Scoping question to determine if a circuit is series resonant?
      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmvXYHgInZnKZS3ZgCU8yavCDH1G;_ylv=3?qid=20120214163757AAJAWSt
      I am employing dual channel scopings on three series resonances from an (alternator 3 phase) delta output. I understand that the common (smaller ground) leads on both probes must be joined so I have these on one side of the stator lines serving the delta circuit to be tested. This means that on one channel we are measuring the complete voltage across that delta phase, as the common is on one side and the probe lead is on the other side, both connected to stator lines. To measure the internal voltage rise made by the series resonant circuit I have the second channel scope probe lead connected to the middle of the LC load. I understand that if the circuit is resonant both of these larger and smaller amplitude signals will be in phase. DOES IT MATTER IN WHICH DIRECTION I CONNECT THE OUTER SENSOR TO MEASURE THE ACTUAL PHASE VOLTAGE,(provided the common grounds are kept connected) AND SHOULD I GET THE SAME RESULTS WHEN THE OUTER CONNECTIONS ARE REVERSED? Suppose for example I find that the inner voltage rise slightly lags the outer voltage. Will I get the same result when the outside lead connections are reversed?