Re: Numerous Virus Attacks upon Reconnection to Internet

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2010
      "Harvey D Norris" wrote:

      > Seems I wasn't thinking right when the cable guy came by
      > yesterday to reconnect me to the internet at this slower speed.

      Hiya Harvey :-)

      Personally, I NEVER LET THEM TOUCH anything but what they have to (THEIR MODEM). If they say they need to get on a computer to check - I DO IT for them!

      > I had spent several hours preparing a document ...

      Remember to hit the save button every 5 minutes or whatever. When one enters a lot of work into any program and doesn't save regular - trouble follows.

      > and when I looked back the cable guy was already sitting
      > at the computer and before I knew it he had me on Yahoo

      Ohhh My! If he touched my PC without asking I would flip! Not only that, he went to Yahoo ???!!!

      That is a dangerous way for a guy to test your (new) connection.

      > but a bunch of Yahoo messenger requests appeared
      > asking to be friends or what not

      This is not acceptable.

      > Now what perturbed me next was I looked on the bottom toolbar
      > for the document I was working on, but it was gone!

      And this is WELL beyond unacceptable.

      > odt.

      Cool, So way back you listened to old Jay and started using OpenOffice. Not sure if you hate me now or not :-)

      > So I shut the computer down but when I immediately
      > attempted to get back online, I could not.

      So, the internet guy USED your computer but DID NOT properly guarantee connection. That was a waste!

      > Norton protection program to get me back online

      [Personal Opinion Follows] Yuck! Norton. When Peter was the sole owner-operator, he did great monumental things. The company which runs it now has done less than stellar. It USED TO slow down a computer quite noticeably.

      > Enough bitching for the day, let us just say I am not amused.

      And you should be unamused!

      > Another very strange thing is that yesterday there was a
      > very long time delay between when I type and when it appears
      > on the screen

      This usually means one of two things (or both):

      1. A resident program is doing a lot of work (you can pull up Task Manager and see which one is using the CPU so much). Could have been something like Norton or could have been a nasty.

      2. You have a virus/worm/etc.

      Personally, after what I have read, for me, it would be time for a BACKUP - FORMAT - RELOAD.

      In fact, AFTER THAT, I would NICELY but FIRMLY communicate with the Internet Provider and get several (more) free months.

      Regards,
      KiJa