5 mm spark from falling water

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2010
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY1eyLEo8_A&feature=related
      I have no idea why this works/ well worth checking out.
      It is related to Kelvins thunderstorm idea.
      M.I.T.-Walter Lewin- Complete Breakdown of Intuition - Part1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjl-qRy71w&feature=related

      I will have further comments on both of these.
      HDN
    • magicbill_2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2010
        Harvey,

        I watched the first video and it is Kelvin's experiment. It is NOT a battery as Dr. Lewin states. It is no more a battery than a Wimshurst machine is a battery. In fact, they both work similarly. They both rely on moving charges.

        Water is a polar molecule with a positive side and negative side. Water can be "steered" by static electricity from a comb. As the water drops though the metal cups, notice the wires which criss cross to each cup below. These are like the charge neutralizers in a Wimshurst machine. The cups at the bottom act like Leyden jar capacitors and as the charge builds up, they discharge. If they were smaller, I doubt if you'd get as big a spark.

        Unless you had a big capacitor to build and smooth out the charges, I don't know what you'd get out of this. 20kV and maybe microamps.

        Hope this helps!

        MagicBill