Three Rollers.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2008
      Imagine a central roller in parallel rotation and contact with two
      adjacent rollers rotating in opposite directions. The central roller
      is actually half metallic lengthwise, and half nylon lengthwise as an
      insulator, where we first built this using aluminum and nylon, and
      this serves the purpose of a commutation of electricity to the outer
      cylinders from the inner one to two outside branches, also composed of
      half lengthwise metal and insulator. Thus the linear separation speed
      between half circular electrodes itself was non-linear and meant the
      voltage created by electrode separation speed in an induction arc
      becomes a greater velocity during the ~second half of separation
      distance, and might possibly be used as a method of "quenching" the
      horrendous DC induction arcs that occur in a "60 henry" air core
      inductance designed to propel large magnets via air core methods.
      Newmans method involved not only commutating the polarity of the
      field coils required for DC operation, but also "blinking the power on
      and off" to the field coils, and then harnessing the magnetic collapse
      via an intervening short segment, also accomplished on the main
      commutation. This three fold commutation method instead was meant to
      "alternate" power between two Newman systems, and the triple
      commutation sent power to two of four coils designed as the overall
      field coil configuration. But two distinct commutation systems were
      needed, but this secondary system accomplished the secondary function
      of "power blinking" between systems. This kind of system however could
      also be used for a mechanical substitute for the diode, which is later
      realized to be of possible practical value. But it uses three shafts
      in counter rotation. Doc and myself built this thing, but there were
      bad vibration problems from the differences in weight between nylon
      and aluminum half segments.
      Upon our recollections of old work upon his recent return, where
      Doc is a fine artist and craftsman coming back from the Tennesee area
      where I visited his family some 15? years ago, anyways the subject of
      this high speed commutator design came up. We were sitting in the
      local bar, and he reminded me: "Do You remember the solution I came up
      with on this design? It uses two shafts instead of three and is
      balanced! You asked me if I could patent it!"
      "Oh bullshit Doc, it can't be done like that", I replied.
      But then he started remembering; slowly at first... and came up with a
      preliminary drawing, which had to be argued over again before I was
      fully convinced, but I have to say it does seem both logical and quite
      ingenious and simple. So how does two shafts replace three? I'll have
      to leave that for awhile till I can coordinate this jpeg attachment he
      created.