Excerpt: History of Electronic Invention

  • Steve O'Keefe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2007
      For those interested in the history of invention, I have permission to
      share an excerpt from the new book, "Much Ado About *Almost* Nothing,"
      a history of electricity by microchip designer Hans Camenzind.

      Camenzind moves like a charged particle through the history of
      electronic invention, sketching dozens of inventors, scientists,
      engineers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, professors and others.

      All the luminaries are here -- Franklin, Faraday, Morse, Bell, Tesla,
      Edison, Marconi -- but Camenzind shines most when profiling lesser
      lights who made big contributions.

      The excerpt I'm distributing is about one such character: Lee de
      Forest. Was he the "Father of Radio," as he proclaimed, or a fraud? He
      helped develop the vacuum tube and rode it to three fortunes before
      settling down with a Hollywood starlet to a life of relative obscurity.

      The excerpt is available at the URL below, along with more information
      about author Hans Camenzind and his new book, "Much Ado About *Almost*
      Nothing."

      http://www.authorviews.com/authors/camenzind/excerpt.php

      STEVE O'KEEFE
      for AuthorViews