Electromagnets

  • magicbill_2000
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2007
      The History channel had a program where they examined how those big
      electromagnets were made for the scrap industry. They start with a
      iron form and machine it to fit the coil. The coil starts with an
      aluminum center and then they wind (flat) strip aluminum for the coil.
      The insulation between windings is Nomex and they wind the aluminum
      coil like a big spiral. It reminded me how capacitors were wound. Once
      the coil is in the iron shell, they pot the unit with a proprietary
      mix that looked like epoxy.

      Winding that coil reminded me of the pancake coils that Harvey wound
      before. Viewing how the company wound the aluminum coil makes me want
      to go and wind some to test out some theories.

      The other thing the program discussed was magnetism. Magnets always
      have fields which complete the loop back into the magnet. We can see
      these magnetic fields with iron filings above a sheet of paper. Now
      Leedskalnin observed that the particles (he did not call them
      electrons, he thought that was a bad and misleading term) formed
      little tornados. These vortices would travel in a corkscrew type
      motion and always in pairs. One vortex would be clockwise and the
      other anticlockwise. So he saw the electron motion and the
      antiparticle, the positron as the complementary pair? So when we look
      at the magnetic field lines, we have to realize that a single "line"
      between poles of a magnet is really a pair of vortices or counter
      rotating corkscrews. If you look at the picture at here
      (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Magnet0873.png),
      you can almost make out pairs of lines.

      Someone told me Leedskalnin used pairs of coils but one coil was iron
      and that was the secret of his device. Soft iron, which when used for
      electric wire, is internally equivalent to a bifilar pair of copper &
      aluminum wires, because iron has two open valence bands in its atomic
      arrangement. Roy Meyers also devised a free energy device that used
      iron wire. (http://www.rexresearch.com/meyers/meyers.htm). Sounds
      similar to Leedskalnin and around the same time (a little earlier than
      Leedskalnin's work).

      Hope this helps!
      MagicBill