Re: [teslafy] Virus makers single out harvich?

  • Sojourner -
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7 4:28 PM
      I don't think it was from yayhoo support. They don't attach stuff.

      Posing as a warning letter is typical for that type of virus.

      In fact, *DETECTED* Online User Violation" is one of the email titles the virus uses to propogate itself.

      In other words, you DIDN'T have a violation. The email was a spoof.

      You can read more here:

      http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mytob.eb@...

      You also shouldn't be opening attachments. Yahoo or any business of any repute will always have you go to their site. (always confirm a VALID url in the address bar.)  Just because a hyperlink from a email says ebay or what have you, it may be going to an address that just looks like it.

      Norton caught this one for you. It wouldn't let you open the attachment and infect the computer.

      Soj
      Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:15:25 -0800 (PST)
      From: "Harvey Norris" <harvich@...>
      Subject: Re: *DETECTED* Online User Violation
      To:  support@...

      --- support@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      Dear Yahoo Member,

      Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of
      unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If
      you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online
      experience and confirm the attached document so you
      will not run into any future problems with the online
      service.

      If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no
      choice but to cancel your membership.

      Virtually yours,
      The Yahoo Support Team
      (MY REPLY)

      Tried to open attachment;this was the result;

      Virus Scan Results

      File name: account_info.zip
      File size: 33kb
      File type: application/octet-stream
      Scan result: Virus "W32.Mytob.EB@mm" found.
      The file attached to this message was infected with a
      virus that we were unable to clean. You can not
      download this attachment.

      Note: Not all viruses can be cleaned. Please contact
      the message sender and request that they send you a
      virus-free version of this attachment.

      So as one can ascertain I cant even open the
      attachment!  I wondered what was going on with the
      recent sexually oriented messages that I have been
      recieving, but I had NO IDEA that someone had hijacked
      my own account in order to send these messages under
      my harvich account.  I wondered why the numerous
      addresses resembling mine as cc sendings all had
      icons, but mine did not????  This must mean that some
      unauthorized varmit is sending mail using my address
      as the sender?

      Worst of all of course is the fact THAT I wonder
      whether some kind of virus maker is also using the
      support@... address itself to wreck havok, as I
      cant imagine why yahoo itself would send an attachment
      with a inbedded virus?

      I am not ordinarily a conspiracy theorist, however I
      do some avante garde  scientific publicized research
      under the yahoo group name teslafy, having over 500
      members. Some of my work deals with providing proof of
      time distortion made with resonant circuits.  I would
      truly hate to think that someone higher up is trying
      to get me kicked out of yahoo, so that I would no
      longer be able to reveal my research to the teslafy
      membership.

      In any case, please correspond back with me on this
      matter where I will do the best I can to resolve the
      matter.

      Sincerely Harvey D Norris

      Shortly after sending this I got an automated reply from Yahoo;

      Subject: A message from Yahoo! Customer Care (KMM28106278V48199L0KM)
      From:  "Yahoo! Mail" <support@...

      Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care to answer your
      question. A support representative will get back to you within 24
      hours regarding your issue. Until then, feel free to visit our online
      help center at http://help.yahoo.com/
      for answers if you have not already done so.

      Lets hope this virus stuff is just a fluke, and business can just go
      on as usual.

      Energy management Energy gels Energy conservation home
      Energy savings Energy Energy efficiency

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      Mad Scientist at Large