Re: [teslafy] electrostatic speakers from neon sign transformers??

  • mbest@triad.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
      MM-

      Electrostatic loudspeakers have a high impedance, and require a high bias
      voltage (albeit at minimal current). You can bias them with an NST, but you
      must have clean DC to do so, or you will impress an AC hum on the audio. I
      prefer to use a voltage multiplier to an NST.

      There is a parlor trick I've done many times- two sheets of aluminum foil
      inside a folded newspaper, separated by sufficient layers of paper to
      provide sufficient dielectric strength, lying on the coffee table. Connect
      one side of this capacitor directly to the plate of the final amp of a
      tube-type amplifier, the other side to the chassis ground. The output
      impedance of the PA tube is a close match to this speaker, and the B+
      provides the bias.

      A signal from a concealed source in another room "magically" appears to
      emanate from the newspaper!

      -MB