electrostatic speakers from neon sign transformers??

  • mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
      well, i am into vintage higher end audio electronics and am on the
      poorer side of the fence. i have always wanted my bose 901's and now
      have them. but, i have always wanted electrostatic speakers for the
      description of the purity of the music it produces. since i have had
      plans for years to actually produce a tesla coil and haven't done more
      than amass a laundry list of every part needed. i have a large
      collection of nst's i have 2 in mind that are identically matched(no, i
      didn't 'scope them to see' but it'll be good enough for fun. these are
      15kva 30 ma. has anyone ever played with this idea? does anyone have
      some? anyone willing to try it? my electronics experience is limited so
      the venture of jumping into this feet first is a little too frightening.
      any input would be appreciated. this seems viable since people make
      tesla coils from nst's and vacuum transformers. the technology seems to
      be possible to go the other way.
      thanks.
      mm
    • mbest@triad.rr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2005
        MM-

        Electrostatic loudspeakers have a high impedance, and require a high bias
        voltage (albeit at minimal current). You can bias them with an NST, but you
        must have clean DC to do so, or you will impress an AC hum on the audio. I
        prefer to use a voltage multiplier to an NST.

        There is a parlor trick I've done many times- two sheets of aluminum foil
        inside a folded newspaper, separated by sufficient layers of paper to
        provide sufficient dielectric strength, lying on the coffee table. Connect
        one side of this capacitor directly to the plate of the final amp of a
        tube-type amplifier, the other side to the chassis ground. The output
        impedance of the PA tube is a close match to this speaker, and the B+
        provides the bias.

        A signal from a concealed source in another room "magically" appears to
        emanate from the newspaper!

        -MB