Paradoxical Field Amperage and Resistance Readings

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      Are gremlins for real? Sometimes I wonder. Hard to make sense of
      experimental phenomenon. Yesterday I measured the field resistance
      with a Wavetech LM-22 LCR meter; this was an expensive meter, (200
      dollars) I purchased about 10 years ago that also measures inductance
      and capacitance. I always use that meter when it comes to recording
      resistance, but I formerly found that it seemed to have problems
      recording lower resistances near 1 ohm, as when the megacable spirals
      were measured some time ago, it gave a reading of 1 ohm for the set
      of windings, but later when 5 of these were put in series I found
      that the resistance should be closer to .6 ohms. In any case
      yesterday I was making some repeated comparisons between the
      externally powered field and the self energized one, and I also
      wanted to repeat some observations concerning the non linear
      resistance of the field phenomenon. I put the meter on the field to
      record its resistance. At first I obtained a reading near 6.1 ohms,
      and then I thought that can't be right. I disconnected things and
      rehooked them up and let the meter fluxuate for a while and obtained
      a steady state reading of about 6.1 ohms. I thought "Damn I could of
      sworn that I did this same thing before, and had recorded a field
      resistance of 20 ohms? What is going on here?" The LCR meter has
      three selections for making readings, the switch is either in off
      position, where the next movement of the switch puts the reading
      in "D" which stands for dissipation factor,(which has something to do
      with finding the q of a inductor when making inductance readings),
      and the next position reads LCR, which is the standard position for
      making either inductance L, capacitance C, or resistance R readings.
      I thought well maybe before I had made a mistake and taken the
      reading from the D switch postion. Having a reading of 6.1 ohms I
      then switched the meter to D position, but it did not give me a
      reading of 20. So that wasnt the problem. Now also some time ago I
      had used the LCR meter to record the fields inductance. This was also
      rechecked and by moving the field rotor it would vary between 10.13
      mh and 10.18 uh. Not much variance there.
      There is however a significant variance found when the LCR meter
      is measuring inductance and attached to one of the stator phases.
      Then the high and low portions of readings vary between .215 mh
      and .260 mh, according to the position of the field rotor. This is
      about a 17% variance of inductance values, where it was also
      theorized that the output of the alternator with no field amperage
      inputed could be classified as a parametric oscillator, which can be
      defined inductance wise as a device that has an inductance that
      varies over time, which of course occurs when the field rotor is in
      rotation. This alternator has a 7 pole face rotor on each side, with
      intervening air gaps. I wanted to measure the rise and fall of
      inductance values for one complete rotation of the field rotor, where
      I found that 14 of these occur. When the field is energized the
      magnetism stays inside the ferromagnetic metal, and only leaves the
      metal at the air gaps between the two pole faces, where this is
      referred to as flux leakage. It is this flux leakage that bends
      outwards in space so that it then intersects the ferromagnetic metal
      of enclosed by the stator windings, so that moving flux made by a
      moving field rotor induces voltage in those stator windings. The
      point of maximum flux change then is when the air gaps are directly
      underneath one set of stator windings, since the field leaks out and
      intersects the stator phase when the flux leakage intersects those
      stator windings. This then implies that when the metal is underneath
      the stator winds, the AC signal goes back down to zero as now the
      field lines do not intersect the stator winds. HOWEVER when the metal
      is directly under that set of stator winds, the inductance meter
      records the highest inductance for that phase, which means those two
      relationships of the highest stator inductance and the highest
      amperage output on the AC signal in fact do not correspond to each
      other, rather they are actually about 90 degrees out of phase. After
      making these tests to see the change in inductance of a stator phase
      with rotation of the field rotor, I got another digital resistance
      meter connected to the field and found that sure enough now I was
      getting a reading near 20 ohms! I began to wonder if the change of
      inductance on the measured stator phase had anything to do with the
      field resistance reading, and sure enough there was a direct
      correlation as shown by the following data;
      Stator Inductance Field resistance
      .214 mh 6.5 ohms
      .226 mh 8.1 ohms
      .242 mh 20.7 ohms
      .262 mh 26.1 ohms

      Although this correlation was found things still didn't make sense
      since the field rotor encompasses three stator phases and not just
      one. When one phase measures .261 mh, the other phases respectively
      measure .229 mh and .232 mh. None of the phases are then at their
      minimum inductances. A phase measured at the minimum inductance
      of .215 mh has the adjacent phases measuring .253 and .248 mh. Both
      of these data sets give about the same average value. I have no
      understand why obtaining a highest inductance reading on one phase
      would give an associated highest resistance reading, but that's what
      I recorded. To further complicate things a needle analogue meter
      recording resistance appeared to give entirely different resistance
      values for the field, but the same effect was seen where a .217 mh
      inductance stator gave a reading of ~7.5 ohms and a .261 mh reading
      gave~ 10.5 ohms, but those readings were very much more sporiadic,
      where the slightest movement of the field rotor would cause the
      needle reading to move to higher values, and then gradually decrease
      to the low value. The final point here is that the field once in
      movement has a very non-linear resistance. The same needle
      resistance meter recording values near 7-10 ohms for the field in non
      movement will record 40-50 ohms when the alternator is turned on with
      a rotation of ~ 4140 rpm yielding the freq near 480 hz. Likewise when
      the lowest amounts of amperage are introduced into the field, it
      correspondingly acts with a resistance higher then what it should be.
      Here are some externally sourced field amperage measurements with
      the linear load of METR phases attached as loads, without the
      interphased water cell in place
      Field Voltage Field Amperage V/I field Res. Ave Stator V
      .33 V .02 A 16.65 Ohms 1.83 V
      .9 V .07 A 12.8 Ohms 2.66 V
      1.9 V .30 A 6.4 Ohms 5.5 V
      2.6 V .47 A 5.5 Ohms 8.4 V
      3.5 V .75 A 4.6 Ohms 13.26 V

      If the true resistance of the field were noted as 6.1 ohms, then we
      might imagine that after a ~.33A field conduction is reached it
      starts registering as a value lower then its actual value, exhibiting
      something resembling forward emf. Below this value the fields
      resistance appears higher then its real existence, resembling the
      back emf principle found in conventional AC motors, where the motion
      of the armature causes a resistance much higher then its actual value
      to be registered. It is theorized that until the amp-turns of the
      field create a magnetism that surpasses the pre-existant magnetism
      caused by field rotor spin, the total field magnetism does not
      linearly correspond to its amount of amp-turns. This rotational
      magnetism barrier might be supposed to be ~.33A for this example,
      where significant rises of stator voltage do not occur per increases
      of field amperage, and when this starts to occur the apparent
      resistance of the field rotor begins to match its actual value.
      Before this value is reached during the second noted increase of
      field amperage we can see a ~quadrupling of field amperage only
      doubles the stator voltage. After the value is crossed increasing the
      field amperage 50% approximately increases the stator volts 50%, so
      things begin to appear linear. In the next segment increasing the
      field amperage 60% also gives a 60% rise in stator voltage. The loads
      placed on the stator for this instance are loads that will load down
      the stator voltage to the maximum level, because they are loads of
      maximum energy transfer. If the water cell were in place across the
      resonances that would not be a linear load, since it looses
      resistance as the impressed voltage goes up, but in that case we can
      see

      Field Amperage Ave Stator Volts
      .02A 2.35 V
      .07A 3.5 V
      .30 A 8.9 V
      .47A 14.25 V
      .75 A 21.1 V

      As one can see the presense of a water cell interphasal load across
      the METR resonances, where that cell looses resistance as the
      impressed voltage goes up makes the outside circuit appear with more
      impedance, thus the stator voltage drop from its open circuit state
      is less severe. The present alternator may have some mechanical
      problems beginning to set in, as the variances between stator phase
      voltages is large, and on the last of these tests the middle stator
      line amperage again went out, which was quickly remedied by
      increasing the field amperage to a large value.