rf burns

  • jon scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      hello group,

      a friend of mine and I recently had a heated debate over
      the threshold of frequency at which RF burns can occur. i realize the
      basics,; electric current are induced in the human body via
      perturbations in the surrounding E field. although say a 60 cycle
      signal as those from power lines cannot induce an alternating current
      in the body fast enough to cause internal friction between the atoms
      aka rf burns,(unless of course you touch it) they DO induce the same
      effect as say a 500 Mhz signal.likewise a microwave signal of say an
      equal wattage as the first two examples, will cause extreme heating
      due to the extreme (say 2 Ghz) frequency. also skin effect comes into
      play reducing the effective depth of induced voltage according to the
      higher frequencies.

      if i am wrong on this i wish someone would correct me. for i
      value truth above all. also what IS the effective threshold frequency
      above which RF burns can be a danger?

      the whole point i was trying to get accross to my friend is; i
      would not want to be in close proximity to say a 60Hz/500 watt source
      such as sitting next to a pole pig, just as much as i would not want
      to stand next to an antenna transmitting a 500Mhz signal at the same
      500 watts. make sense??