Response to Dave Narby

  • Doug Derbes
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2004
      Dave,

      The URL for the $1 Free Energy Generator is
      www.cheniere.org/misc/static%20poynting%20gen.htm

      The image you specified in your message shows the diverged poynting
      flow into a powered circuit conductor per Bearden.

      About 4 years ago I came across the article about the $1 free energy
      device by Bearden. When he put up his site, he repackaged it and
      posted it under his free energy articles. It was straight forward and
      simple. BUT he said to capture and use the poynting energy flow was
      going to be TRICKY and he gave no specifics.

      Since I had some permanent magnets, aluminum plates, wire etc...I
      figured I would try it. I also had some small 12V batteries used in
      remote control airplane applications.

      I set up the device a little different. I used ferrite PMs in attract
      mode held in a thin wood frame the width of the capacitor plates. I
      cut the plates to the same width and height of the PMs. I held the
      plates in a thin wood frame. This made the poynting flow cavity
      slightly rectangular in volume in the vertical direction. I used a
      12V battery and thin wire with alligator clips to hook the battery up
      to the capacitor plates.

      Just to see what would happen, I suspended a short piece of copper
      wire in the device cavity. I used a digital multimeter alligator
      clipped to each end of the suspended wire. The multimeter showed
      millivoltage.

      When the polarity of the magnets and capacitor were reversed, the
      polarity of the millivoltage in the wire was reversed.

      I have described some qualitative tests I have done in my previous
      posts.

      The length, width and height of the rectangular flow cavity is 1" X
      2" X 1".
      The length of the cavity conductor is 3". Not sure of the gauge but
      the wire is about 1mm in diameter. Have not looked at my wire gauge
      chart in awhile.

      As my previous posts mention, if higher voltage and stronger NIB
      magnets are used, the millivoltage in the cavity conductor goes up in
      a direct linear relationship.

      I made a few device setups and hooked up the cavity conductors in
      series, parallel and series parallel and made measurements. In
      series, the millivolts went up and the milliamps were constant. In
      parallel the millivolts were constant and the milliamps went up. In
      series-parallel both the millivolts and milliamps went up. The
      multimeter was zeroed before all measurements and calibrated for
      stability at zero for 5 minutes.

      Other tests were done to see the effect of proximity of the cavity
      conductor to the PMs and capacitor plates. I didn't want to modify
      the magnets or plates, so I used a thick square copper rod cavity
      conductor that filled the cavity volume. There was only about a 3mm
      space between the rod and the capacitor plates and magnets.
      Measurements taken showed increased millivolts and milliamps in the
      cavity conductor at the same capacitor voltage of 12V. This showed
      that proximity to source dipoles was a factor in device efficiency.

      It appears that the poynting energy flow in the cavity acts as a
      electron pump on the cavity conductor. The picture on Beardens
      website that you linked to in your post to me shows diverged poynting
      flow into a conductor that has current flowing through it. This
      picture is what gave me the idea to place a conductor in the poynting
      flow device.

      All of the above tests and equipment and materials have been done on
      a small 3 foot square table in my little shop at home. My total
      outlay of money so far has been $10. I had most of the materials at
      hand and already had the digital multimeter.

      I am not sure of the strength of the permanent magnets I am using.
      They were given to me many years ago. The ferrite magnets look like
      the rectangular magnets you can get at radio shack. I believe they
      are around 800 gauss. The NIB PMs were surplus from high end military
      applications. I bought them for pennies on the dollar at a Boeing
      Surplus sale in Seattle many years ago. I would not be surprised if
      they were over 10,000 gauss.

      So far in my qualitative tests, the highest readings I have obtained
      was when measurements were taken on a series-parallel connection of 3
      devices with 3 rod cavity conductors. I used 48 volts on the
      capacitors and used the NIB PMs in all 3 devices. I measured 4.6
      volts at 3.2 amps=14.72 watts. All 3 devices had flow cavity size
      measurements of 2" high, 1" wide and 1" deep.

      I am a 53 years old engineer with my own consulting practice. My
      customers are major energy companies, mostly oil and pipeline
      companies. Sometimes I get work from major electrical utilities
      companies.

      The qualitative tests that I am doing now were started out of
      curiosity and to have some scientific method fun while I took a 30
      day vacation. I had returned to my home in South Louisiana ( Cajun
      Country) after spending 2 months in the Seattle area doing some work
      for major pipeline companies. I will be leaving again for a 3 week
      assignment in Texas in a few days.

      As time permits, I will continue to investigate these devices and try
      to optimize the geometry and efficiency. Additionally, I want to
      produce some CAD drawings for some optimized geometries that are
      different from the ones I'm investigating now.

      This concept is simple and inexpensive enough that anyone can
      investigate it.
    • nicolaie vlad
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2004
        Thanks for info Doug!
        Nick

        Doug Derbes <dmd201@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • iron1of1
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2004
          Doug,

          Now this sounds great, but you lost me on the description of the
          magnets, could you go through that one more time? NS is across the
          box or lengthwise?

          Ron

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2004
            --- Doug Derbes <dmd201@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            >
            > The URL for the $1 Free Energy Generator is
            > www.cheniere.org/misc/static%20poynting%20gen.htm
            At first I was confused about the results you have
            obtained, but now I can offer a possible explanation.
            I too have done the same experiment, more authentic to
            Beardens illusration and can show a jpeg of this: but
            I have done it much differently from the manner in
            which you have done it. I also dispute Beardens claim.
            In my experiment I used unmagnetised ferrite as the
            "so called capacitor" with two aluminum rods pressing
            along the 7/8 ths length of the ferrite. On the ends
            of these small aluminum rods are ring NIB's that are
            inserted onto the endings of the rods through their
            inner diameters. Each of these ring NIB's are
            attracted to those on the opposite rod, so that these
            ending ring magnets act as rod holders, so that the
            rods are both pressed up against the 7/8ths length of
            the ferrite. The ending magnets on the rods are merely
            there as a support mechanism to keep the rods pressed
            against the ferrite in free space,as a magnetic
            holder, and these rods become the electrodes of the
            "ferrite capacitor". Now on either side of the top and
            bottom of the ferrite are a much stronger set of
            trapezoidal neodymiums, these also press against the
            ferrite at the next right angle of the 7/8th* 1/2*
            3/8ths dimension ferrite piece, on the 1/2 inch
            portion if I remember correctly. However for certain
            reasons I also put insulating ceramic tile between the
            strong neodymium magnets and the ferrite. These first
            two descriptions create an E field which is the
            aluminum rods against 7/8ths length of ferrite, and at
            right angles to this a B field created by the exterior
            magnets passing a magnetic field through the 1/2 inch
            of the ferrite at right angles to the E field. Then I
            took a voltage meter and manually made a voltage
            reading on the remaining set of right angles. The
            voltage across the 7/8ths ferrite length is shown as
            44.9 volts DC, and the voltage output on the third
            right angle is shown as 3.034 volts DC. One may
            wonder why my voltage output is a more significant %
            of the voltage input, then the example you have
            provided. In fact in the experiment after this one I
            was able to supply slightly less voltage input, and
            then obtain 10 volts as an output reading. The reason
            for this is that when ferrite is used as a capacity,
            it may have a significant amount of leakage current.
            The voltage that is measured, due to the orthogonal
            magnetic field is actually due to the voltage that is
            established to deflect the current at right angles to
            the direction of that current. One can take a capacity
            meter, and measure the capacity of a ferrite
            capacitor. In order to keep the electrode plates
            firmly attached to the sides of the ferrite, we may
            put weight upon them. Now increase that weight, and
            you should see an increase of your capacity reading. I
            have seen 6 fold increases of ferrite capacity by that
            method. The ferrite is susceptible to mechanical
            pressure. The ferrite is also susceptible to
            electrical pressure. When we start with a variable
            voltage source set at a high level,( by this I mean a
            level of voltage that appears in accordance whith the
            load resistance), at first the ferrite will appear as
            a high resistance. But gradually the ferrite will
            become more conductive and as it does this it heats
            up. When it heats up, it also looses resistance, (a
            peculiar property I have exploited in the ferrite
            heating experiments, where I have started with
            measurements of 30,000 ohms for the 3/8th inch width,
            and ended up with the piece exhibiting only a
            resistance of 7 ohms when it starts to glow red hot)
            In the above experiment where I obtained 3 volts out
            for ~45 volts in, I initially started the experiment
            out with at least 160 volts across the piece, and as
            the piece grew hotter the voltage went down. At this
            measured level the jpeg shows that for the the input
            of 44.9 volts, it is allowing a conduction of .725 A,
            which by ohms law would be 44.9/.725 = 61.9 ohms. If
            the meter recorded 30,000 ohms for a 3/8th inch width,
            proportionally we might assume that a 7/8th inch
            length would be 7/3 rds that value or 70,000 ohms,
            thus at 61.9 ohms the resistance has been decreased
            about 1130 fold. Now the heat release of this ferrite
            passing .725 A is quite fantastic, even though here it
            is not glowing red hot. The wattage involved in making
            this heat release should be by I^2R only (.725)^2*
            61.9 = 32.5 watts. It is this heat release that I
            would estimate to at least be several hundred degrees,
            this is the reason I employ an insulating ceramic tile
            between the neodymium magnets and the ferrite.
            Neodymium only has a curie temperature of around 350
            degrees F, compared to ferrite curie temperature of
            around 850 F. In former experiments when I used the
            magnetically held aluminum rods as electrodes to pass
            enough current through the ferrite to make it glow red
            hot across the 3/8th width, the heat conduction across
            the aluminum rod length was enough to demagnetise the
            end NIB ring magnets. Now the voltage that occurs on
            the third right angle is the result of the Lorentz
            force, which has an almost identical definition to
            Beardens Poynting Vector. Here is the jpeg showing the
            above description;
            3 volt Lorentz deflection voltage via 44.9 volt, .7 A
            lengthwise SrFe heating current; process sandwiched
            via tile & NIB magnets
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/teslafy/files/SP/Dsc00592.jpg

            Now here is a description of the Lorentz force vs
            Poynting vector;
            Bearden states the following;
            Take a charged capacitor, and lay it on top of a
            permanent magnet so that the E-field of the capacitor
            is at right angles to the H-field of the magnet. Then
            the standard Poynting flow S is given by S = ExH,
            which in this case is maximized for a 90-degree angle
            between E and H. In fact, the magnitude S of S is just
            the product of the two magnitudes E and H. The
            direction of S is at right angles to both E and H, and
            given by the usual right hand rule.
            [Note; the terms B and H are often used to
            describe a magnetic field in an interchangable manner.
            Technically both of these terms describe the
            magnemotive force of a magnetic circuit. B describes
            the flux density of the field which is actually a two
            dimensional description, where it tells the no of
            lines of force per unit area, or the no. of lines of
            force bisecting a plane that is at right angles to the
            magnetic field. Such a mmf description is given in
            English units by the quantity of amp-turns in the coil
            that creates the magnetic field. To further qualify
            that coil that creates this magnetic field, H is a 3
            dimensional description that also tells us the flux
            density per volume length, instead of just area, and
            is expressed in English units as amp-turns/inch, which
            then takes into account the length of the magnetising
            force of the coil. B and H are often used
            interchangably to describe the mmf of a magnetic
            field]
            Bearden states that by simply putting a magnet
            over the E field of a capacitor, so that the magnetic
            field B is orthogonal or perpendicular to E, the
            poynting vector establishes the conversion of energy
            from the vaccuum;
            "Well, even by orthodox theory, that is an actual
            Poynting energy generator. It just sits there and
            pours out free energy, directly extracting it from the
            vacuum. There are two dipoles -- one electrical and
            one magnetic -- continuously serving as an asymmetry
            in the fierce vacuum flux. Once you pay to make the
            permanent magnet and charge the capacitor (or use an
            electret), that simple gadget will extract energy from
            the vacuum and pour it out indefinitely."
            Now the lorentz force law uses an identical
            description that states that on the third right angle,
            a voltage deflection force will exist on charges BEING
            MOVED by the electostatic force of the E field.
            Lorentz force law in vector form is fairly simple; F =
            Q*V(perpendicular component) X B. If V ( velocity of
            chage movement)is zero, no deflection force on the
            charge exists. And we may find that in Beardens
            description, the STATIC E field of a capacitor,
            employing a dielectric in which normally there are no
            free charges available to be moved by that electric
            field, then no deflection force then exists on that
            charge by the definition of the Lorentz force law.

            > Since I had some permanent magnets, aluminum plates,
            > wire etc...I
            > figured I would try it. I also had some small 12V
            > batteries used in
            > remote control airplane applications.
            >
            > I set up the device a little different. I used
            > ferrite PMs in attract
            > mode held in a thin wood frame the width of the
            > capacitor plates. I
            > cut the plates to the same width and height of the
            > PMs. I held the
            > plates in a thin wood frame. This made the poynting
            > flow cavity
            > slightly rectangular in volume in the vertical
            > direction. I used a
            > 12V battery and thin wire with alligator clips to
            > hook the battery up
            > to the capacitor plates.
            >
            > Just to see what would happen, I suspended a short
            > piece of copper
            > wire in the device cavity. I used a digital
            > multimeter alligator
            > clipped to each end of the suspended wire. The
            > multimeter showed
            > millivoltage.
            In the above description it would seem to indicate
            your E field is directly at right angles to the
            internal B field of the ferrite magnets. This is
            somewhat different to how I applied things, where the
            E and B fields came from separate objects, but here
            the same object is used for the interaction. I would
            imagine that if I had a rectangular magnet that was
            metallic, I could pass both current and voltage
            internally across the magnet at right angles to the
            magnets field, and then also record the lorentz force
            delection of that influence on the remaining right
            angle. I have set up a possible experiment to show
            that effect. I would suggest here that you try
            exerting mechanical pressure on your E field plates,
            and then see if your voltage reading goes up. If such
            is the case we might assume that your readings are the
            result of leakage current from the battery across your
            ferrite. But since you have a wire recording the
            voltage, not part of the ferrite itself, this still
            raises some questions.... In my experiment the
            deflection voltage was evident, but I didnt seem to be
            able to record any deflection amperage. Perhaps the E
            field will allow conduction in only one dimension of
            travel. In any case if I were able to extract amperage
            on the third right angle this would indicate the
            possibility of extracting electricity from the random
            molecular collisons of the ferrite, thereby converting
            some of the ferrite heat into electricity. Here the
            ferrite appears to be more acting like an electret
            perhaps in that it can supply voltage; but no
            amperage? Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are
            doing in your experiment. You say you have also been
            able to record amperage on your output?

          • Fran├žois Guillet
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2004
              --- In teslafy@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Derbes" <dmd201@c...> wrote:
              http://www.cheniere.org/misc/static%20poynting%20gen.htm
              > Just to see what would happen, I suspended a short piece of copper
              > wire in the device cavity. I used a digital multimeter alligator
              > clipped to each end of the suspended wire. The multimeter showed
              > millivoltage.
              >
              > When the polarity of the magnets and capacitor were reversed, the
              > polarity of the millivoltage in the wire was reversed.

              Hi Dave,

              Do you mean that you observed a stable direct current flowing in the
              wire along the Poynting vector, or did you observe only transitory
              currents when you reversed the polarity or switch on/off the magnets?

              The first point should be a new interesting physical phenomenon.
              The second one is only induction.

              Thanks in advance for precisions.

              Fran├žois
            • Erik
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2004
                Doug,

                DD> I set up the device a little different. I used ferrite PMs in attract
                DD> mode held in a thin wood frame the width of the capacitor plates. I
                DD> cut the plates to the same width and height of the PMs. I held the
                DD> plates in a thin wood frame. This made the poynting flow cavity
                DD> slightly rectangular in volume in the vertical direction. I used a
                DD> 12V battery and thin wire with alligator clips to hook the battery up
                DD> to the capacitor plates.

                DD> Just to see what would happen, I suspended a short piece of copper
                DD> wire in the device cavity. I used a digital multimeter alligator
                DD> clipped to each end of the suspended wire. The multimeter showed
                DD> millivoltage.

                I tried replicating this, as I already had all the parts lying around,
                but it didn't seem to work. Maybe my setup was too crude. I used two
                cylindrical NIB magnets (1 inch thick by 2 inch diameter) and spaced
                them (attracting N-S) apart with two plastic audio cassette cases. The
                cases had the lids wrapped in kitchen foil. I applied 48 volts DC to
                the foil plates from an old UPS power supply. I placed a piece of
                thick insulated copper wire through this box shape. Unfortunately I
                didn't measure any voltage in the wire, using a digital multimeter. I
                also tried a moving-coil micro-amp meter and that didn't indicate
                anything.

                My only success was managing to separate the magnets after they
                accidently slammed together while dismantling the test. I almost gave
                up and scrapped them but managed to shear them a few millimeters, jam
                them in a door frame, shear them some more, them force them apart with
                all my strength before rolling one away from the other. Damaged the
                doo frame a bit though. :) I think if it hadn't have been for the
                piece of thick cardboard wrapped around one of them then I wouldn't
                have even managed that!

                --
                Regards,
                Erik
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Erik,

                  This is a red herring from the dis info boys...
                  We both know that as posted it does not work. That is because
                  there is an additional step or two, and so you may judge for
                  yourself whether or not this is a hoax I will post the last
                  "how to" letter: (enjoy) he he

                  >>>You have the EM poynting flow environment - 2 PMs on opposite
                  sides in attract mode, 2 capacitor plates on opposite sides, one
                  positive & one negative. This is the cavity with the EM wind.

                  You connect the cavity conductor to the same battery with separate
                  wires- one to positive , one to negative. You have a 12 volt short
                  circuit utilizing the cavity conductor. Yes it measures 12 volts on
                  the multimeter. By doing this you have now mounted and attached blades
                  to the EM windmill. BUT the windmill is in neutral and free spinning.
                  It is not engaged to the shaft to do WORK on a LOAD.

                  To start poynting flow divergence and engage it, a load must be present.

                  Use a resistor or small lamp bulb or better still a small 12 volt PM
                  DC motor like in microfans or RC cars.

                  Connect the load to the cavity conductor. One wire on top and one wire
                  on bottom. The resistor warms, the bulb lights and gets warm and the
                  motor runs.

                  Use the multimeter to continuously monitor the voltage between the
                  battery terminals. Let it run. Leave it on.
                  Record your multimeter battery voltage readings at time intervals. You
                  can do the same for amps.

                  See how long the battery voltage and amperage holds.

                  Doug

                  --- In teslafy@yahoogroups.com, Erik <eg@p...> wrote:

                  > Doug,
                  >

                  > DD> wire in the device cavity. I used a digital multimeter alligator
                  > DD> clipped to each end of the suspended wire. The multimeter showed
                  > DD> millivoltage.
                  >
                  > I tried replicating this, as I already had all the parts lying around,
                  > but it didn't seem to work. Maybe my setup was too crude. I used two
                  > cylindrical NIB magnets (1 inch thick by 2 inch diameter) and spaced
                  > them (attracting N-S) apart with two plastic audio cassette cases. The
                  > cases had the lids wrapped in kitchen foil. I applied 48 volts DC to
                  > the foil plates from an old UPS power supply. I placed a piece of
                  > thick insulated copper wire through this box shape. Unfortunately I
                  > didn't measure any voltage in the wire, using a digital multimeter. I
                  > also tried a moving-coil micro-amp meter and that didn't indicate
                  > anything.
                  snip