Re: EMF as field rotor theory

  • Jones Beene
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2004
      Harvey,

      > Can the rotating electromagnet become
      > almost as efficient as the rotating magnet? If forward emf
      enters that equation, it can explain imagined discrepancies.

      This is a very interesting point. A rotating DC
      electromagnet, is by definition creating its own induced EMF
      counter-field at the same time is depleting an externally
      applied EMF, so in the base case it would not be very
      efficient - but that is far from the end of story. We know,
      in the case of an AC induction motor, the rotor is using its
      induced alternating field, instead of an applied field, so
      that at certain speeds it will use the back EMF to maintain
      inertia and become very efficient in those speed ranges.
      Large ones are 98% eff. the only losses being copper and
      friction. This is why so-called "variable" speed AC
      induction motors are usually only variable in multiples of
      60 in the USA (i.e. 1800, 2400, 3000 etc, RPMs) or 50 in
      Europe.

      A real question for the OU investigator, until we can
      eliminate copper losses or until RTSC (room temperature
      superconductivity) comes along is - can we find any geometry
      in nature which will allow more EMF to be induced in the
      rotating winding than the drag it induces, in order to
      overcome the copper losses and allow at least self-spinning,
      if not more. One can assume that ZPE would provide the
      "extra" energy in that case, presumably by realigning the
      field lines in permanent magnets (I hate to use the term
      "regauging").

      This would seem difficult... except, possibly in the case of
      a modified homopolar arrangement where both the magnet and
      windings spin and there are also fixed stator magnets with
      alternating poles, so that the windings are essentially
      between both a fixed field and a rotating field. This is a
      little confusing because - from the perspective of the
      conductors, the field which rotates with them is on the
      rotor and the real stator can vary in polarity only due to
      rotation. This would then necessitate a method of
      alternating the rotating electric field by modulating the
      free conductive pathway in the rotating windings. I suppose
      you could add a analog or digital circuit to the rotor to do
      this, if you knew in advance the resonance frequency but...

      The only reason I mention this possibility is because of
      Harvey's findings (if I understand correctly what is going
      on in the 3-phase DC pancake coils) of periodicity arising
      as a side effect. Of course the periodicity would need to be
      resonant with the speed of rotation, but that would probably
      be self-maintaining, once it is within range.

      OTOH... all the experts say that a self-rotating device
      would violate the second law of thermodynamics... this
      despite the fact that every atom in their body has a
      self-rotating field... go figure.

      Jones