Accelerated plasma discharge dissipation

  • ashtweth_nihilistic
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2004
      the project is trying to create a plasma in a reactive gas, and
      accelerating it to high speeds with capacitor banks and powerful
      electromagnets, I am still designing the accelerator for the plasma
      to run along, but someone brought up in a discussion that the plasma
      would probably dissipate after the gas passed the arcs and ionised,
      without being able to reach sufficient speeds.

      What chance do you think my project has of succeeding the way I'm
      doing it?

      It is planned to work, by having a canister of compressed gas
      (fluorine is paramagnetic isnt it?, as is plasma), a gas discharge
      through a high voltage arc, then the resulting plasma cloud
      accelerated through a chemically resistant tube, with the magnets on
      the outside to avoid total destruction by F gas/plasma, the plasma
      cloud picks up sufficient speed, and exits at high velocity out of
      the end of the resistant tube to impact with a target placed at a
      given distance, say 20m?

      What say you all? also what are opinions of the the best way to
      instantaneously provide MASSIVE amounts of power in a short burst? I
      am thinking capacitors, but for my project I would need a bank of
      many capacitors each around the size of a small dog