X49 Electra FireShip Design Progress ...

  • Millennium Twain
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2004

      Ethan Cliffton wrote:

      How is that engine theory coming? Does the plasma envelope hold heat

      have been meaning to write the group this last
      week -- good to get your message.

      over the last year have reflected upon our baseline
      FireShip design --

      and have made two revisions, refinements.

      basically a confirmation of our earlier assessments.

      1) bigger is better.� the 45-meter wingspan we describe
      for the first experimental passengerliner is a minimum
      scale to achieve orbit using onboard hydrogen and
      utilizing 50 percent atmospheric oxygen.

      the larger wingspans, 100 meters, 200 meters
      and up become well-suited for ocean launch and
      landing -- and for the INFRASTRUCTURAL economics
      of scale which are required in an enterprise which
      must have the approval and participation of an entire
      global civilization: public, corporate, governmental.

      2) the forward-swept wing concept is not appropriate,
      though we very much appreciate the vortex topology
      insights provided by our brother Robert Patterson.

      the rear-swept topology of all the current X49 baseline
      designs, as in a flattenned raindrop, is both the most
      stable and the most drag-resistant configuration --
      whether we are in a gliding phase of re-entry or in
      an active-thruster phase of ascent or re-entry,

      thus in any future design contests I will drop the forward-swept option
      from the

      as to design changes for sea-launch and -landing we
      have to place both the forward ramscoops AND rear
      trailing edge rocket exhausts ABOVE the hull which will
      be 'eating' water so to speak!

      the concave bottom will become convex, 'buoyed' downward
      and outward rather than upward and inward.

      and we can look to ocean-going barge ship designs, and
      the SCALE of ocean waves, for minimum wingspans for
      mitigating wave interference for fair-weather takeoff
      and landings.� [eliminating bounce and drag.]

      as we sail upon the heavens, so shall we float
      upon the seas ...

      only together,

      Millennium Twain

      Do you Yahoo!?