Re: [teslafy] Stupid Capacitor Question...

  • Louis
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15 11:58 AM
      Re: [teslafy] Stupid Capacitor Question... What type of discharges have you been able to realize with your 15 KV 30 mA-driven Tesla Coil? I’m shooting for 6-8” sparks for the project I have in mind...

      On 7/15/04 1:45 PM, "explorecraft" <pariah@...> wrote:

      Been there, done that.

      I bought a few packs of pp (polypropylene?) page sleeves normally used for archiving
       loose papers in a ring binder to use as dielectric for my capacitor.
      Aluminium foil joined by aluminium duct tape serve as electrode plates.

      By using multiple thin pp sheets, I was able to create a cap for my 15kv 'tesla' setup.
      Multiple sheets scatter manufacturing flaws so that the potential for arc-through
       is lower than using a single sheet.
      Sheets of aluminium foil cut about 2cm smaller than the sleeve
       allows the problematic high-gradient plate edges to be sufficiently removed from the
       heat-seam between sheets where the pp material has been weakened in manufacture.
      (Long sentence, I know, but it is a complete thought. Read it twice if necessary.)
      My cap was 4 sheets of foil checking in at 1.8nF
      Trouble-free now, but I suspect the pp will age and require replacement in a year or so.

      I remember formica (years since I bought any) as having wood in it, a proven recipe for failure.

      My NT is also 15kv 30 ma.

      good luck

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15 10:35 PM
        Re: [teslafy] Stupid Capacitor Question...
        The secondary changes to match whtever my experiments are.
        I was never interested in sparks,
         It is never allowed to spark - it is for  experimentation purposes.
         I use it as a crude but robust high-voltage oscillator.

[...]

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292q6qsv/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705083269:HM/EXP=1090042786/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          Yahoo! Groups Links