Speculations on a 3 phase Parametric Alternator Circuit

  • harvey norris
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2001
      I havent analysed all the sensibilities with this
      subject here, so it may be unfeasible. I havent quite
      grasped how the switching would, could or should be
      at this point in time. But the consideration itself
      has seemingly led to an understanding of three phase
      that did not exist before these things were
      considered.

      The problem starts with the 6 terminals available from
      3 isolated phases of a AC converted bus reluctance
      alternator. How do we put the 6 connections together
      to form either delta and wye, and what will be the
      effect of this? I have concluded the the wiring on the
      motional emf source itself must be backwards to the
      conventions used when applied as outputs, whereby
      making the wye connections will yeild the highest
      voltage, where ordinarily it delivers a lower voltage
      than delta, when applied as an output load. The effect
      of a non loaded or open secondary stator being
      saturated by excessive motional flux change from the
      rotor is also discussed. Here it can be shown that the
      stator itself will rapidly heat up, with even no loads
      are on the three outputs! This is due to the internal
      currents that must be generated when isolated phases
      are given common points of contact, as occurs in delta
      or wye wirings. The common points of contact actually
      allow a travel path for what would normally be the
      open path voltage for isolated phases, which are then
      allowed close looped paths by their being placed in
      unison with their adjacent phases. A method of
      mesuring these close looped internal currents, and
      comparing them to the actual currents that would
      develope in load applications is discussed. This is
      two parts, the first with JLN references of paramatric
      circuits, and the second as clarification of above
      description. These were in the form of letters of
      correspondence with Marc Metlica, a local tesla coil
      inventor who has invented the triggered arc gap, which
      he says will make the rotary arc gap obsolete. There
      are also several varieties on this idea for a tesla
      coil adptation from alternator inputs, but this is
      irrevalent for now, so the following posting should
      continue..

      Hi Marc

      I will be sending you another letter concerning
      specific alternator work being done, also in reply to
      your letter. I DONT have a specific request for
      building a circuit, because I havent specifically
      nailed down what the requirements will be, but I want
      to make you familiar with the terminology and concept
      involved with what some call parametric switching. The
      no field amperages and voltages generated with the
      alternator can be partially explained by its actions
      as a parametric oscillator. The circuit would involve
      altering the parameters of how the three phases
      appear, either isolated, DELTA or in WYE. One would
      start from the three phase output wiring in isolation
      as are made with the bus alternators I have in the
      garage. But first let me supply these references and
      comments, where here the idea would be to employ The
      principle of the parametric power conversion to a 3
      phase AC circuit.
      http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/paraconv.htm
      is the best place to start for references.
      also
      http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/scalwidx.htm

      http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/paraintr.htm
      specifically applies to my work with the no field
      alternator observations, so be sure to check it out.
      There they use the analogy of a rotating eccentric
      where the afore-mentionned core is now alternately
      inserted into and withdrawn from the inductance L and
      this inductance is, in turn a part of tank circuit,
      then a parametric oscillator result.
      also noted there;
      One knows that there is energy stored in this
      inductance of magnitude 1/2 LI*2 and if this
      inductance is now increased in some manner, such as by
      inserting an iron core into L (while holding I
      constant). then the stored electrical energy is
      increased. This is an example of parametric power
      transfer.
      Now since the stator can be modeled as L, and it reads
      about .22- .26 mh, depending on the position of the
      field rotor, as it is actually the "rotating
      eccentric" provided for in the analogy. This is also a
      15% variance in L.
      To make the circuit described I merely need to load
      the output stator down with a C to resonate with .22
      mh @ 480 hz or 500 uf, quite a large capacity. It is
      seen as that capacity is added to the no field
      outputs, where this can be called a parametric power
      transfer in its actions, the increasing capacity also
      enables more amperage and voltage to appear.
      The idea of increasing the actions for a better
      parametric conversion schematically is made by the
      various schemes shown on these sites.
      http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/parabifc.htm
      A Switched bifilar parametric circuit
      shows one of these ideas
      A bifilar or counterwound coil on a ferrite core has
      been substituted for the variable inductor.. An analog
      switch driven by a square wave generator has been
      interposed between the two windings. The result is
      that for half a cycle any current passing through the
      circuit goes through one side of the bifilar inductor
      and for the other half the current goes through both
      sides. The result is that the total inductance goes
      from a high value to a very low value. This varying
      inductance operates in the same way as the variable
      inductance in circuit 1 and a current builds. The
      value of this current is based on depth of variation
      of the inductance, and the load resistance. Since the
      variation is high, the current will be high. On the
      other hand the energy needed to switch this current
      through the second half of the inductor is small.
      So essentially in a nutshell such an idea applied to 3
      phase outputs would involve a switching from Delta,
      where one winding picks up flux change, to Wye, where
      two windings in series pick up the flux change,
      whereby an additional effect of changing the L values
      on the stator output end might concievably also be put
      into coordination with the actual change in inductance
      made by the rotation of the field rotor.

      I will get back to you soon on these things, and the
      special self energized field tests I will be making.
      HDN

      Clarification
      Let me redescribe what I was thinking about, and
      whether it even has any merits. The Bus alternators
      have 6 posts for connection to three phases because
      when I had Magnetek make the AC conversion, I didnt
      know much about 3 phase, and I told them to make the
      phases completely isolated. Thus there will exclusive
      conductivity on each phase, and one cannot measure
      conductivitity between them which can be done when
      they are wired in delta or wye. To change the isolated
      phases to delta, it merely becomes necessary to conect
      the 3 corners of the previously isolated phases by
      shorts. To convert the windings to wye those short
      connections at the corners must be changed from 3
      shorted corners, to one single short made by
      connecting three termnals as short and leaving the
      other three as outputs.

      So thinking about this, I realized that since there
      are 6 pole faces on the rotor, for a commutation sheme
      one might attach the field rotation to a larger wheel
      that contains 18 segments of metal. Each of the 3
      outputs from one side of the isolated phases could go
      to three brushes or metal bearing rollers so that when
      the commutation takes place, or when one of the 18
      segments goes by those three brushes, it momentarily
      changes the output from isolated to WYE. That scenario
      itself would not be exactly what would be desired, but
      it is a good start to describe things. Thinking about
      the matter it occured to me, that with your good
      knowledge of solid state components, the commutation
      itself could be done away with by mechanical
      switching, and the switching could be done by solid
      state. We merely need two diodes that can turn on when
      a certain voltage level is reached. I think they call
      those things zener diodes. Since it is the mere
      opening and closing of a switch that is desired, and
      the current direction is irrevalent, two of those
      diodes in parallel might be used, or a better scheme
      using a different switching technique might be thought
      out. We might want the switch to go closed when 1/3 of
      the stator voltage AC waveform is reached.

      Now here the comparisons between WYE and DELTA on the
      output end, vs what occurs when the configurations are
      used on the input emf sources of mechanical flux
      change made by the rotating magnetic field(s) shows a
      sort of reverse application. On the output end, given
      the typical 3 wire delivery for 3 phase, the loads
      hooked in delta will have a higher voltage across them
      then if they were wired in WYE. But apparently on the
      input end the reverse must be true. The stator
      connections made in WYE must have a higher voltage
      output, then if they were wired in Delta. Thus that is
      the standard practice for obtaining motional emf,
      where books mentioning alternators consistantly
      mention the fact that the stator windings are obtained
      in WYE, and even looking at a dissasembled alternator
      will show stator windings have a common tie or
      meeting point, and that the other three wires can then
      be used for outputs, where the outputs are usually
      exclusively available as WYE based inputs. However
      with the bus alternators having isolated phases it can
      be wired instead for Delta as the motional emf source.
      However further thinking on the matter shows this to
      be irrevalent, since if we procure the traditional WYE
      base input, and allow output to be also taken in wye,
      and also allow for the 4th neutral wire, that is
      actually the same thing as having three delta motional
      emfs hooked to three delta loads, with the neutral
      wire simply being a shared line of current
      cancellations on balanced loads. In both cases there
      is no conversion from delta to wye as respect to the
      ways the are obtained vs their output.

      Now all this may seem very silly, but I would rather
      be silly about a proposition, until I am solidly
      convinced that there is no merits to the idea, so that
      something that might be a gem in the sand is not
      overlooked. You should probably be thinking so what,
      all you are saying here is that the wye stator winding
      output is the preferred method, so why would you want
      the delta winding to come into the situation?

      This is where my logic got a little warped, where
      alcohol does that to a thinking process. Today I see
      that the proposition only seems to mean a switching
      process that might change the relative voltage outputs
      coming out of the stator. But what if one effect can
      also influence the cause, and what about the cases
      where the field becomes self energized with a broken
      alternator. You know the old trick of pulling one
      battery terminal connection of a running vehicle to
      see if the alternator is functioning correctly. What
      about the case when it is not properly functioning,and
      we jump the vehicle to get it started, where we know
      that if the motor is shut off, it will not start again
      because the battery will be dead, because the
      alternator is not recharging the battery. Yet we can
      still drive the vehicle, and even turning its lights
      on, they operate in a dim manner. We might operate 24
      hours in that way with no problems. Obviously the
      battery could not power the lights for 24 hours, so it
      is easy to see that the alternator does operate in a
      capacity to supply electricity to the automotive
      charging system, in excess to what the battery
      supplies, and all of this is mere redundant arguments
      supported by the fact that tests show the alternator
      generally outputs 10% of its normal operating levels,
      with no field activation, or currents made thru the
      field. The moving magnetic field that the stator sees
      and produces voltage and amperage from is explained by
      two effects. The Barnett effect is that a spinning
      metallic object will create its own magnetic field.
      according to that thesis when we want to create a
      magnetic field in excess to the one existant by the
      spin itself, there would then be a preferred direction
      for sending that DC current into the field. This is
      aptly noted in the observations of the 1 ohm resonant
      circuit, where even at higher amperage draw the
      effects of reversing the field can be shown. The
      circuit pulling 11 amps will only pull 9 when the
      field connections are reversed, and the differences of
      these actions are more exagerated with lower amperage
      levels. When the field is first energized there is no
      increase from the levels already preexistant with the
      no field levels. Even when the correct polarity is
      used for the field there is no apparent voltage rise
      at the stator until the amperage in the field hits a
      certain level. The saturation effects that resonant
      circuits see are also dependent on the spin of the
      field rotor!!! Of course that may be an errant
      observation, but what I describe in this situation as
      saturation is the effect where the increase of field
      voltage does not create the same proportional
      increase of stator voltages. Now the field is
      obtained from a 4/1 transformer stepdown taken from
      variac input, then it is rectified a given a shunted
      capacity to smooth out the DC ripple. At 188 hz
      operation from 70 to100 volts from variac stator
      saturation occurs. At 480 hz this occurs at 40-50 volt
      range. So two variables are actually present, both the
      volume of field being moved, and the rate of that
      movement. It is unwise then to think that the actual
      field saturation of the field rotor is then even
      occuring!

      Ordinarily saturation is noted by the increase of
      amperage with the increase of voltage, which not may
      not be the specific issue here, where it may be
      better to state in amperage output terms more flux in
      the field is required at a lower rpm before the
      saturation stator effect expresses itself. Then a
      further increase in the field does not deliver deliver
      a further proportional linear increase of the stator
      voltages in loaded applications. I am unsure whether
      this effect can also be seen with unloaded
      applications, but it can be checked for the present
      480 hz set up. In any case if the unloaded scenario
      holds, that also applies for 188 hz, and we can
      conclude that more factors than simply how much
      amperage the circuit can produce on draw is the effect
      responsible for stator saturation. Using that thinking
      we note that as the stator voltage is increased, the
      amperage draw is also increased, and it must be the
      excessive levels of amperage draw itself itself that
      causes this saturation, as the source must be current
      limited by the amount of flux change occuring. The
      standard thinking on circuits is that the short across
      the output will determine the maximum current on the
      branch. However I was most impressed with the
      observation that the 1 ohm resonant circuit drawing 7
      amps will only draw 4 amps when a short is placed
      across the stator outputs! Now as I began these
      speculations here, the solution to some things
      suddenly became apparent. The REASON these unloaded
      stator saturation effects occured now became apparent,
      and that indeed saturation must take place as an
      exclusive effect of the high flux change made from the
      rotor, and not dependent on those currents those
      circuits can generate. What makes the effect is that
      the recieving instruments taking the flux change must
      have internal current circulations by virtue of 3
      phase methods employing lines shared by both phases.
      Let me explain this analogy where suppose instead the
      motional emf was made in delta, although they are
      actually made in wye. Delta makes things better
      understood for circulation of currents.

      Now a test of the alternator with a field making
      saturation level effects produces the same kind of
      whining sounds from the no load arrangement, as if
      there were a load on it. The alternator gets very hot,
      although we are drawing no current. I describe this in
      a way that the reader can come to this same
      realization, that because of the fact that the phases
      are NOT isolated from one another, and have point
      common contact in delta, the flux change made by the
      field rotor actually DOES see a closed loop, and
      closed loop currents DO exist between the phases,
      where we begin to wonder if the same currents made by
      shorting the outputs are instead being generated
      internally! This must be the great source of heating
      of the no load alternator exposed by the improper
      field regulation, normally governed by the field
      regulator in automotive DC applications.

      This is better understood by looking at the bus
      alternator stator windings themselves and their
      endings. These consist of a mere 54 winds of a small
      type busbar conductor around the segmented silicone
      iron in a ring. Each phase has 18 winds and these
      arranged as the phase every third wind, or three sets
      of concentric spirals around core as a ring. The six
      endings are merely the endings of three sets of
      windings, and the first conversion to delta emf output
      from the isolated phases would be to connect the
      corners of each isolated phase, yeilding 3 sets of
      shorts. The first wonderings on the subject were,
      wouldnt that make a current flow between those
      connected posts? The obvious answer may be yes, it may
      make a current flow, but only when the current flow on
      the load component becomes open, or as the no load
      observations of stator heating entail. The bus
      alternators never displayed these great heating
      effects, as undoubtably the I^2R stator losses are
      smaller and the phases are isolated. It is then that
      current flow between the corners or the 3 sets of
      shorts turning the 3 sets of isolated phases into the
      delta connection that enables the current flow
      theorized to found on the corners, as the causitive
      agent for making that current itself appear across the
      stator winding on a no stator load saturation
      phenomenon, that in turn can greatly heat the stator,
      although no loads are applied to the outputs operated
      in open load.

      To explain again,there is a paradox here that in going
      from the 6 output to 3 output method via delta, there
      is a loop made by the closing of the corners, where
      the closing of all the endpoints represents three
      adjcaent winds of return wired coils in series.
      However the total flux change that loop around the
      core encompassing flux change from the rotor pole
      faces contains zero, with respect to the combination
      of all 3 ( open/short)currents. It is essentially then
      the travel of short induced currents evidenced in the
      oversaturated field effect makes at first glance,
      impossible to measure, unless we first have isolated
      phases, or 6 terminals,and then place an amperage
      meter between the terminals of the isolated phases as
      one of the three shorts. Thus two parametric readings
      can actually be made, the first from isolated phases,
      where the method of measuring consists of measuring
      the amperage on shorting of the 3 output windings, (in
      No field condtions)with no corner connections between
      phases.. Next those shorted output connections are
      opened and instead the amperage reading made on the
      corner connections. In this way we can ascertain
      whether as suspected those currents are equal. This
      too may be wrong, because if they were equal, the no
      load stator heating effects could be made in the same
      way by shorting out the outputs, where here by
      absolute common sense, we know that shorting out the
      outputs would cause MORE currents than are existing
      internally as a consequence as internal currents at
      open loads via consequence of using 3 phase system,
      with this method of high flux change causing stator
      saturation at open loads.

      The confusion here is almost inevitable when
      comparing the actions of no field to real field
      actions, where for the real field actions case of REAL
      currents derived from the stator outputs, from there
      is NO current on the corner shorts, and only currents
      across the designated load pathways. It is only when
      those pathways are opened by disconnecting the loads
      that the currents measured across those pathways then
      measure the internal losses of the stator winding
      itself. Those are the internal currents made by
      consequence of being connected in either delta or wye.
      In the load mode, those currents ARE the currents in
      the load. Aside from all this confusion let us simply
      conclude that there should be no difference in
      transition from the currents obtained with equal field
      excitations from that obtained in isolated phasings,
      as to that obtained in delta phasings. However in
      delta phased currents there are also inherent losses
      to be expressed as resistance to the rotor motion also
      expressed as the lenz law consequence of having
      created induced currents made responsible by the
      interphasing of isolated phases. Thus having theorized
      enough I had better soon get the bus alternators
      running and make a report back as to their no field
      outputs. But here the issue is also realized that
      while their may be no difference between the delivery
      from isolated to delta, there is a difference from the
      conversion to delta to wye, where here because these
      configurations are on the motive emf source itself,
      they should be backwards to the conventional
      arrangement where wye delivers less voltage, here it
      will deliver more. The wye connection should secure
      the highest voltage from the 6 terminal stators.

      For a 3 phase parametric circuit from isolation to wye
      then we would want something like a two switch on, one
      switch off arrangement that might occurs six times
      /cycle.(I will have to ponder these seeming
      impossibilities) The corner connections made with
      delta are removed and are instead the three shorts
      become one by shorting one side of the isolated
      terminals, making a triangle whereby the open /close
      conductivities of those routes are made by the voltage
      levels being desired for turn on. Now there may be a
      great deal of wasted time in pursuing these things, as
      logically the only thing to be expected by such a
      technique might be a distorted sharply peaked AC
      waveform. However that conclusion might not account
      for the way the parametric switching might feedback to
      the source feeding it, where such a circuit could
      easily be tested for the no field configuration. If
      more amperage developes than would be suspected by
      making starting comparisons with what the no field
      output is strictly for each isolated and wye
      configuration and what the swtiched parmeter
      requirements would create in actual amperage tests ,
      such tests would show if any feasibility existed.

      Meanwhile I am also pursing some more logical routes,
      where the parametric no field currents from the stator
      will be rerouted back into the field to self energize
      it. When this was attempted before some time ago, it
      resulted in a net cancellation of all currents. I will
      send another letter to inform you of results as some
      of these tests are made. HDN

      http://greetings.yahoo.com