RCB4/ 2 vs 3 phase shorts

  • harvich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2001
      As was just noted on short tests of amperage draws, by parametric emf
      source of of alternator stator voltages, the conduction levels were
      1.57 for a single phase, two phases conducting 1.5 A, and 3 phases
      conducting .7 A, which only totals 2.1 amps in total. Thus we would
      be tempted to think that the two phase application is in fact
      superior to that of three, since that method yeilds 3 amps, and the 3
      phase shorts yeild only a total of 2.1.

      To start to explain here, it may be very well that using two of three
      phases may be preferrable, BUT ONLY SO FOR THESE LOW RESISTANCE CASE
      SCENARIOS BEING ENCOUNTERED FOR THE BEST RCB ARRANGEMENT FOR A POLE
      PIG TRANSFORMER.

      Here then is another pamametic vs real conduction difference that
      does not appear at first glance. It has already been stated that the
      short conditions, the real currents that develope should model what
      happens in the parametric case, and breif testings showed that.

      However that fact itself only applies for the short scenario itself,
      and the interpretation made here concerning what should happen with
      a 12 ohm resonance vs the 1. With the 10 coil DSR of 12 ohms when we
      add the third phase, there is a small drop in voltage from the
      voltage measurements of phase 1 and 2, where I will soon post those
      differences by retesting and by measuring the voltage one phase at a
      time as they are added, when the DSR's are rehooked into the circuit.
      In the short example this "voltage at stator" drops in half, but for
      real current of significance in the DSR, this drop is probably
      miniscule, and the net observation does become Yes, the total
      currents obtained have increased by using all 3 phases!

      Thus we can only conclude that the shorts on three phases changes the
      developed currents to act in parametric mode, and not real current
      mode, and this is a way of explaining the difference. So here we can
      postulate what will occur if we used 3 of these 1 ohm resonances on
      three phases.

      As noted the voltage source drops considerably so that what might
      appear as 15 volts stator when 12 ohms DSR's are employed may drop to
      11 volts for a single 4 spiral loaded on a single phase. Adding the
      next identical resonance might drop this slightly. But adding the
      third phase would then produce a pronounced drop of voltage on all
      three phases, but in that scenario with three 1 ohm loads in
      resonance, I would still expect the total amperage draw to have gone
      up from the two phase draw. We should only suppose that the voltage
      drop experienced in adding the third phase only occurs to a
      significant degree with the stator interaction cases of having
      comparable low resistance values.

      But lets us analyse also the possible reasons for this 50% parametric
      and real voltage stator drop encountered with adding the 3rd phase
      short. The stator windings are made in WYE, but the application here
      is with delta output,so when we measure the inductance at .22 -.26
      mh, we are actually measuring two stator windings in series. When we
      short that phase, only the current in those two windings is enabled,
      and the resistance, and possible impedance consideration of only 2 of
      the 3 stator windings should govern events. However for some reason
      the impedance of the source windings only seem to come into play when
      we actually place a load as a output on the phase, but for shorts it
      appears with no impedance, otherwise the impedance of .2mh being
      6.28*480*.0002 = .6 ohms should have prevented the currents already
      established with less then .2 ohms measured as the shorted impedances.

      NOW, when we add the 2nd shorted phase the first special
      consideration comes into play. Each of those shorted outputs are now
      using 2 stator windings, which means one of the windings must have
      the combined currents generated by both phases on it. Thus 2 unit of
      conduction become 1.7 units when combined through that stator
      winding, resulting in less conduction on the single output being
      measured, but not perhaps as the smaller actual voltage drops that
      actually occur. We might equate the drop in conduction with a drop on
      only one of two stator windings effective added voltages. 2 reduced
      to 1.7 becomes a a 15 % reduction on only one stator winding, and
      only 7.5% voltage drop from a solitary to dual phase application
      where stator windings in wye are considered in series. However the
      actual amperage drops were measured from 1.57 to 1.51 amps, which if
      the above analogy were acurate for 7.5 % drop in stator voltage,
      would have then enabled only 1.45 amps, where here the actual
      reduction is noted about 4%.

      To try and further postulate here we can also say we have considered
      two phases, where apparently both of their conductions were reduced 4
      %, instead of the theorized 7.5 % reductions accounting for the fact
      that half the stator windings of each phase were reduced in voltage
      via shared currents.(only according to these postulations) The key
      here to accounting for the extra voltage and current that seems to
      get delivered for a 2 phase short condition then might be explained
      by the overall fact, compared to the specific facts. Specifically we
      have two phases, where 50% of their respective stator coils have a
      postulated reduction of voltage made by motional emf of the revolving
      field rotor, where their currents are combined. However overall we
      have two out of three stator windings, not being reduced 15% by
      shared lines. Accounting for this then the OVERALL voltage supplied
      by the true triad of voltage generation is actually only reduced 5%
      in voltage overall,reconcilable with the measured 4% reduction: where
      consideration of the 15% reduction in voltage only takes place on one
      out of the three stator windings taking place as the production of
      three and not two voltage potentials.

      Now the further explanation of the 50 % reduction of amperages to .7A
      on three phases then becomes also evident by this reasoning, which
      when we think and ponder further upon, leaves one shaking his head in
      disbelief. When we go from a two phase short to a three phase short,
      we go from 1 out of 3 stator outputs loosing voltage, to 3 out of 3,
      so right away we can postulate an OVERALL 45% voltage loss for the
      three stator voltage inputs. This doesnt quite explain the greater
      than 50% loss however, but the above arguments are good for starters.

      But what leaves one wondering is that the practice of allowing shared
      current lines as 3 phase uses then only allows for 55% of the
      possible voltage made by those motional emfs, and that they loose 45%
      of their voltage in translation to 3 phase wiring. So now another
      problem presents itself because the previous statement cant possibly
      be true! Now the bus alternators DO have isolated Phased outputs,
      which cost a lot of meoney to make them that way. I often thought
      what a waste of money, but they will now be useful for future test of
      the idea.

      Also the 45 % reduction does not seem possible by simply allowing for
      isolated outputs. It should only be 15%, and the 45% reduction shown
      only on short conditions, but perhaps here even another consideration
      may come into play. According to these theories then the isolated
      phase operation of the bus alternator will deliver more current at
      short as a parametric oscillator, and by simply joining the three
      phases at one wire, the total currents for the three conductions
      should be reduced by the noted 45%, because by making 45% reduction
      Now then, Watson some VERY interesting propositions then present
      itself.

      We have now created a proposition for creating a 300% increase in the
      effectiveness of the alternator as a parametric oscillator! Now
      things start to sound fascinating. Initally on this alternator 3 amps
      can be procurred on two phasings by the simple virtue of the fact of
      parametric oscillation, where a 15 % variance of inductance occurs
      during the rotor spin. Let us now then think of a commutated switch
      that when the amperage reaches a peak on one phase, disconnects it
      from the wye stator connection, converting it to a isolated phase.

      Let us now also fathom that the principle of ferromagnetic spin
      itself seems to be verified in a recent testing. The 1 ohm resonant
      circuit delivering 11 amps, when the field connections are reversed
      only delivers 9 amps, meaning of course there must be a proper
      polarity connection to the field incorporated by the spin. Thus if
      necessary the parametric change of L could either be aided , or
      opposed by spin, and as the no field readings deliver similar
      results, or actually it shows the effect better at lower amperages.

      If we accept the theory of parametric oscillations made by delta L,
      it might be possible to also increase the effect of Delta L by
      opening and closing the wye connections to phasings in coordination
      with the field rotor rotation. Now the RELATIVE INCREASE from wye to
      isolated phase conductions where the inverse of a 45 % decrease, is
      actually a 80% gain from wye values. This incorporated with the fact
      that the procedure has ALSO changed the TOTAL INDUCTANCE THE STATOR
      SEES, may mean that the levels made with a 15 % variance could be
      increased to a greater degree.

      A lot of speculation here, but it is food for thought. I am revisiing
      the RCB experimentation to deal instead with each L quantity to
      consist of 35 ft of 10 gauge wire, to see if better conductions can
      be made.

      Sincerely Harvey D Norris.