1803RE: [teslafy] HDN Reports Back

  • Keith Nagel
    Sep 19, 2006
      Hi Harvey,

      Frankly, I find your personal stories much more interesting and
      enlightening, for example your story about "rooster" the mathematician
      was a gem that kept me smiling for days...But you want to talk
      about numbers now, so OK.

      I've thought abit about this same problem, that of a "3 dimensional"
      rotation. What got me to think about this is something called
      spacial quantization, but as the idea didn't fit the physical
      observations I won't bore you with the details. However, the
      basic idea of a three dimensional spin follows from this
      reasoning.

      We define spin in three dimensions by a plane, and an orthogonal
      axis. It follows that there are three such spins, cooresponding
      to the three dimensions. This same idea can be applied to a 4
      dimensional space, now with four possible spin axis and a plane
      in 2 dimensions.

      It's interesting to speculate on a new kind of spin, one defined
      by a three dimensional volume rather than a 2 dimensional plane,
      and an axis. Again there are 4 such spins, cooresponding
      to the 4 dimensions, but the appearance of such a "3 spin" in our
      3 dimensional world would be quite odd. Is this what you are
      referring to below, or the more simple case of an ordinary spin
      but with the axis being the 4th dimension?

      K.